FS14 Bayou boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 Bayou boat

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 am

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 pm

I was wanting to get the stringers in and tabbed up.
Getting a motor will be a few months down the road. will the manufacturer specs saying it is a 20" be enough to start the modification?
Yes, that is enough to build your transom.
Beware of the words "standard" shaft or short. I have seen a couple that were 17".
Thank you sir for the advise. I will try to go to a dealer that I will get the engine from to make sure. Because the Suzuki comes with the controller(over $300.00 savings) and there are a few dealers here in Houston.

The project is on hold for now. Got another project that pays the bills but it is working with wood and water. Have a kayak/canoe race coming up in March.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am

Checkout

ONLINEOUTBOARDS.COM
FS14, getting wet soon.... LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). Plans, plywood and supplies, in hand. Late summer build 2018/19 build, This is a beautiful designed boat.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am
Checkout

ONLINEOUTBOARDS.COM
I have them bookmarked. I am really liking their 25hp with the power tilt/trim. But there is a boat dealer not far from me that deals with Suzuki. I am sure he will price match or come close. I would prefer to deal with a local business which will also be doing warranty work if needed.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm
Capt UB wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am
Checkout

ONLINEOUTBOARDS.COM
I have them bookmarked. I am really liking their 25hp with the power tilt/trim. But there is a boat dealer not far from me that deals with Suzuki. I am sure he will price match or come close. I would prefer to deal with a local business which will also be doing warranty work if needed.
Not sure how the warranty works today, but a dealer should still do warranty work, no matter where the motor came from?? Dealer network and all.
FS14, getting wet soon.... LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). Plans, plywood and supplies, in hand. Late summer build 2018/19 build, This is a beautiful designed boat.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Not sure how the warranty works today, but a dealer should still do warranty work, no matter where the motor came from?? Dealer network and all.
Call me old fashion but when I can I like to support local businesses. Not the big box stores so much.
And if I buy from a local that did the inspection and added all the fluids and I paid him to make sure everything is ok, sometimes that carries a little weight when something may or may not be a warranty issue.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 am

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:07 pm
All boats have their center of buoyancy between 40 and 45% of the waterline, same as the FS14. That is where the center of gravity has to be. That is where the center of lift for planning is located.
With 2 or more persons on board, that happens automatically, same with a console but not with a heavy guy sitting all the way in the back.
It goes against the laws of physics to expect a good trim with a bad crew location. It is like expecting a seesaw to be balanced with a heavy guy sitting on one end and a child on the other. It's not the seesaw that is defective. :)
I moved the statement to here so as to not hijack the other thread.

If I am going to use a 25hp motor that weights some where around 157 to 170 pounds, a sole with center console (big enough to house the controls and steering but high enough to stand behind-pedestal seating). And I'm the heavy kid on the seesaw at 210 lbs. :|

Is there a way for me to figure out where I need to place the console, and other things, to keep the center of gravity or center of lift where it needs to be? If I understand correctly the fulcrum needs to stay at 40 to 45% from the transom total length of the waterline? Or just behind the middle bench?
I understand more weight on the transom and rear of the boat means more needs to move forward.

Hope I asked the question right,
Ken J

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:53 am

The math is out there somewhere (torque offset on fulcrum), but I try to avoid making my brain smoke on holidays. The concept is that you need to have the same amount of weight the same distance from the fulcrum point to maintain balance.

But often you don’t have the “same” weight. So then you vary the distance to have the same force (torque) restoring the balance. The rough calculation is that the change is distance it relative to ththe difference in weight. For 100lbs 5’ back you’d want 50lb 10’ forward. Thing is you need to cont for ALL the weights forward and back and the distance of those weights.

Hope that helps.

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm

I really like this question and hope someone with a better understanding of the math behind it will chime in for all us lurkers too.
Thanks for asking. Better yet would be a simplified answer that would allow for adjustments on lots of designs. Even a way to ball park is sometimes reassuring.
For instance, I'm building the RB14 which Jacques designed with a cockpit so I assume that placement is likely ideal given his extensive knowledge. However, the cockpit size was altered a bit to accommodate taller people which shifted weight aft. To adjust, battery and fuel tank shifted forward, but all this is really just speculation on my part. Fingers crossed on my part until splash. I'm the kind of person what would have loved to "dial" in the weight, but don't really have the knowledge to do that and instead I am going off the experience of others before me.
Sanding is cathartic...

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:04 pm

I did a lot of thinking on this topic and still some more to do. The math isn't hard once you know the approximate weights of everything.

Here's my thread with some paranoid dillusional ramblings.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61878&hilit=Layout+dreaming

We start chatting about the math about half way through.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Currently, I use a module in Rhino to do the math but years ago, I used a spreadsheet that I filled one time at a time.
That model (ORCA) is a built-in spreadsheet but with automatic updates if I move a weight.
For small boats like the FS14, the importance of the crew weight makes precise calculations irrelevant. As long as we have a good starting point, people can, in function of the load, move a portable tank or a cooler and get the boat balanced.
It is different in larger boats that have lots of fixed weights. For the TW28 and larger sailboats, my spreadsheet took up to 20 pages and includes everything.
If you still want to do it for the FS14, read this to get the general idea:
https://microship.com/balance-your-boat ... -database/

I would not go that far but if you do it, put the LCG at 41 or 42% from the transom along the DWL. (That 1% difference does not matter, I just don't remember and don;t have the 3D model calculations here but I am certain it is close.)
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com