FS14 Bayou boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest

Re: FS14 Bayou boat

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies, during the holidays no less!

Ok. Here is what I am thinking, hope I am close. My fear is I'll get the math wrong and be off to far. This may sound crazy and some will laugh but it's ok, won't be the first time an idea was all wrong.

I have a trailer axle that I can build a support on to cradle my hull, the axle being my fulcrum and it becomes a balance beam scale. My center of gravity marked at 41-42% aft of waterline, needs to be over the axle.

Hang motor off transom then I can move the console, chair and my weight forward till it balances out and that is where the console can go?
Then other gear that would always be onboard can be placed the same way.

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:49 am

Two minutes of thought says you're 100% correct. (Which is worth two cents and no more).
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:15 am

I don't think you'd be wrong to do so, but you'll still need to do the math to get your base line balance point (the 41-42% of waterline measured from the transom). And really once you get that figure everything else is pretty easy to calculate, so you can save the trouble of doing it manually. Plus remember these boats are designed to float, and with variable dead rise the water will support the hull differently then air. I came to the conclusion that the math just needs to be in the general ballpark.

I want my hull to be just a hair stern heavy, I can adjust the rest with engine trim. My fear is pushing to much weight foward and having the boat plow or bow steer, like my old gheenoe would. That's why I did all the math, but in doing so you learn some things don't change as much as you think.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am

Ok, I am very close to laying the glass inside the hull. Because the front of the boat is already glassed from the bow side, middle seat frame forward and I want to glass the sides all the way up. Would there be any problems laying the glass from side to side rather than front to back? I can get better coverage it looks like if I do it this way.

Plans call for 6oz tape and I used 12oz by mistake so all seams have more than enough overlap.

Thank you for any input,
Ken J

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Ok, I see I am talking to myself, which I do all the time anyway, especially when I need a second opinion or more expert advice. :D

I want to charge the stringers to allow for them to come all the way up to the top of the transom to form the sides of the motor/splash well. Also would like to put a sole in that is deep as possible, where the chine is. But I was looking at the dead rise at the stern, which isn't much. When I put a straight edge across and measured where it is cut for the stringer it does not come close to the 3" minimal cut that I must maintain. Can I add a 36" additional stringer to take away the weak point right there? (image below.....I REALLY suck at drawing) Yellow is outline of stringer and the additional stringer will be at the narrowest point.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 am

Ken sorry you did not get an answer on your glass question. I would have said something but it would have been just a guess. Same thing for your stringer question. We will hope JM sees this and lets you know :wink:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 am

OrangeQuest, I just sent a mail to Jacques asking him to review your post!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:42 am

I did not see your post.
Yes, you can change the stringers.
You can not lower them to less than 3" especially close to the transom.
You can raise them all you want.

I don't understand what the goal is. If the goal is to lower the sole, you need stringers at least 3".
For what you show in the stern, I don't know, may it is a support for the deck but the plans already show that.

Two elements to consider:
- the width of the motor well (or opening) for interference with the outboard clamps and steering if it is remote steering.
- the drainage: a lower sole will not drain. Ad designed, the cockpit will drain at the dock with the boat empty. Lower it will not.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 am

Thank you very much for your reply, I will try to explain as best as I can. Sorry, I have problems putting my thoughts on paper.
jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:42 am
I did not see your post.
Yes, you can change the stringers.
You can not lower them to less than 3" especially close to the transom.I would like to cut them, at a taper, 1 inch less than that and increase the width as it goes forward. Can I add a second stringer where it gets thin to add strength back?
You can raise them all you want.

I don't understand what the goal is. If the goal is to lower the sole, you need stringers at least 3".I would like to lower the sole, center of gravity, so when moving around the boat will be a little more stable.
For what you show in the stern, I don't know, may it is a support for the deck but the plans already show that.I want to add splash decks on each side of the splash well the same height as the transom but still have a stern bench, just smaller

Two elements to consider:
- the width of the motor well (or opening)19" X 13" for interference with the outboard clamps and steering if it is remote steering.
- the drainage: a lower sole will not drain. Ad designed, the cockpit will drain at the dock with the boat empty. Lower it will not.
Just want the sole to drain into the bilge. Hope this helps. I made a mistake and taped all the inside seams with 12oz tape so the seams are beefed up.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Jeff wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 am
OrangeQuest, I just sent a mail to Jacques asking him to review your post!! Jeff
Thank you very much Jeff.

On a different subject. Thank you for my latest order. Came in a day earlier and the contents was so well packed it is just amazing. There was nothing that could of been damaged but you guys still used double wall box, extra cardboard on the bottom and just the way it was packed in the box showed how much everyone there cares for the customer, even us little ones. You guys set standards that are just to high for most businesses.

Thank You,
Ken J