FS14 Bayou boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 Bayou boat

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Ken, Thank you very much for the kind words!! We do try hard to get the supplies to you in the same shape as we ship!!! Again, thank you, Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm

I would like to cut them, at a taper, 1 inch less than that and increase the width as it goes forward. Can I add a second stringer where it gets thin to add strength back?
The stringers are the backbone of the boat, you can not cut them lower. Adding more short stringers will not help much, sorry.

I would like to lower the sole, center of gravity, so when moving around the boat will be a little more stable.
The boat is stable, to lower the sole will not change much.

I want to add splash decks on each side of the splash well the same height as the transom but still have a stern bench, just smaller
That is fine.

You can customize the boat but omitting the stringers is dangerous. The bottom will flex, crack, the transom may break.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm
I would like to cut them, at a taper, 1 inch less than that and increase the width as it goes forward. Can I add a second stringer where it gets thin to add strength back?
The stringers are the backbone of the boat, you can not cut them lower. Adding more short stringers will not help much, sorry.

I would like to lower the sole, center of gravity, so when moving around the boat will be a little more stable.
The boat is stable, to lower the sole will not change much.

I want to add splash decks on each side of the splash well the same height as the transom but still have a stern bench, just smaller
That is fine.

You can customize the boat but omitting the stringers is dangerous. The bottom will flex, crack, the transom may break.
Thank you, That is what I need to hear.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 am

We laid the bottom in one piece and it just made it to side to side at the widest part. Only need to cover the back half of the boat. I will start cutting pieces for the transom and sides over the next few days and will cut it to have all the over lap at the chines. I left the forward frame in because it was already very well taped in. Will just trim the glass to go around the frame, will not over lap there. Will also be cutting slots in all the frames I cut out to hold the stringers in as they get tabbed down. Because of the sole will also notch the stringers to hold the frames in place.

Now for the dumb question of the day, all the storage and below deck areas that will not be exposed to the light, can I mix color pigment in neat epoxy to finally finish those areas? See a lot of guys prime and then paint those areas. Thinking I could cut down on primer if I just colored the epoxy in those areas.

Ken J

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:17 am

Most of my below deck storage is tinted epoxy.
Novi 23 finally launched !

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Good to know and that is where I am talking about!

Thanks Topwater!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 am

This boat is going to be a center console, 25hp remote steer. Would this steering system work for this application? Doesn't say what HP rating it is made for but I like the price!

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/u-flex- ... ing-system

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Feel like I have reached a milestone!! The hull is taped and glassed on the inside. The white look around the seams of the transom is a lot of 12oz overlapping. I made the mistake of using 12oz biaxial tape instead of 6oz and glassed it with 12oz biaxial cloth. If it still floats should be strong.
The rest of everything is getting 6oz.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 am

I am planning on cutting slots for the frames soon in the stringers before tabbing to the hull and transom. I am moving the location of the stern seat frame back 10" (towards transom). From there measure forward to evenly space frames to forward frame, then install frames below the sole. Once sole is taped in put rib frames from sole to gunwale. All frames and ribs will be less than 36" apart.

Question is, does anyone see a weakness in this plan?

Reason I would like to do it this way is it seems to be easier to glue and tape the sole in one continuous piece than to tape around each frame. Also I don't think I can cut the slots in the sole accurately for everything to line up.

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 am

That's pretty much how they do it on other boats with a sole. No problems.
Novi 23 finally launched !