FS14 Bayou boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 Bayou boat

Post by topwater » Thu May 17, 2018 8:13 am

90 percent of my sole is foamed with no limber holes . Just make sure you build good sole to hull joints so
they don't leak.

Novi 23 finally launched !

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am

. . and if you do limber holes, that's a good occasion to overdrill/fill/drill, you don't want any spots with raw wood in the bilges. The holes may end up an eighth of an inch above the bottom due to the added resin mixture, but that's not a big deal.
Hank

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks for the replies Topwater and Pee wee.

I think I have decided to go with foaming everything that doesn't have an opening till I use enough foam to keep her close to the surface.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm
Thanks for the replies Topwater and Pee wee.

I think I have decided to go with foaming everything that doesn't have an opening till I use enough foam to keep her close to the surface.
I'm with you on this, seems like a smart plan to me. :)

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm

The bilge pump connector:

I read they come with long leads so you make the connection as far up and out of the bilge as possible. I understand it's to prevent any water getting to the connection. I am using gold plated connections and will waterproof them once they are plugged in but they will only be 3" above the bottom of the bilge. Is it acceptable?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am

Question!!

Water separator/fuel filter assembly, what to use? This one seems simple enough and is a quick change out of the whole assembly with the bracket bolted in place.
https://www.iboats.com/shop/racor-snapp ... in-2m.html
Price is not to bad and you can get it with 2 micron or 10 micron filters.
Thoughts please?

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 am

It looks pretty good to me and I love the fact that it has a clear plastic bowl so you can see when it has water in it and drain it on the spot. Don't know about the quick disconnect from its mount bracket. Cool idea.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 am

thb wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 am
It looks pretty good to me and I love the fact that it has a clear plastic bowl so you can see when it has water in it and drain it on the spot. Don't know about the quick disconnect from its mount bracket. Cool idea.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

I think you can only use the plastic above deck, but the metal ones anywhere.... ?
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

those plastic "see through" kind are common on big boats and are always below deck. i would think you'd want it where you can see it easily and with regularity. I've always seen them in the engine room first thing when you open the door/hatch (atomics do keep them further from the engine/ignition sources, but they are still in there).

And I do know there is difference between diesel and gasoline. hence my mention of my experiences with the atomics which are common gasoline motors for blow boats.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

Racor makes a fine product and that filter will handle almost any motor that will go on any of Jacques designs. It is a new product from Racor and the first time I have seen it so see if you can find some talk about it on other forums or other places on the web.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978