OB 15 low sheer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OB 15 low sheer

Post by Stinkyface » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello everyone. I plan on ordering the CNC kit for the OB15 in the coming weeks with the desire turn it into a flats boat as I have seen on here. Two questions I hope someone can answer:

As far as lowering the sheer- once I have my side panels together would it be advisable to straighten the sheer and trim the 3 inches of at that point?
I am space limited- anyone know how much that would trim off overall length of the boat? Any help would be appreciated. I have to make sure boat motor and trailer will all fit straight in the garage when finished, or pick a smaller boat....

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB 15 low sheer

Post by seaslug » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Stinky, welcome to the forum. Another possibility if it's not too small is the FS14 low sheer. I think mine ended up at 13'10" by 60" beam at the widest point. Depending on your budget and skill level, the FS14 would be less materials and a little easier to build. That being said, I absolutely love the lines of the 15, in fact it's one of my favorite small boat designs by Jacques. If I were to build it I wouldn't lower the sheer more than about 2" at the transom, to 3" at the bow. If you look at all the photos of finished boats, there is one of a guy at the bow with a trolling motor, and you can see it;s not a high sheer to begin with, unless he cut it down. Best thing to do is to build per the plans, glass the hull, flip it over and pull the sides in with the frames temporarily in place in their proper locations, and eyeball the boat from a distance to visualize how much you think you want to remove. Than use a 16 foot flexible batten clamped along the sheer that you can spend endless hours looking at to determine where you want to attack with the saw. Kinda scary cutting into the side of a newly built hull, so make sure the first cut is high, knowing you can always cut more off afterwards. The most important thing is to make you cut line with the hull pulled into the frames, not splayed out, or you'll end up with a crappy sheer line. Note that this boat has some V aft, so it will not be as skinny as some super skinny flats boats, but 6" is not too bad. I think it will make a great little flats boat. You'll only lose a few inches in length by lowering the sheer. Good luck with your build. Mike

Browndog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:16 pm

For tight spaces a trailer with a swing away tongue is a great space saver. The trailer will be longer and wider than the boat.

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you for the responses. If it was only me I would probably build the 14ls or a 14 ft flats boat Envi sells kits for but I have a small family I have to take along with me, until the little one gets old enough and we can leave mom at home... The OB seems super stable for what it is which is/ was another concern of mine. There is another designer who makes a 14' 8" stitch and glue with a platform upfront but the beam is 50 inches and I know that I would be ok moving around but add the other two and we would probably be swimming. I have searched for hours on end for a 15 ft flats boat kit/ plans but came up with more than I can store indoors or less than I need. This will be my first build and I do not want to start, nor do I trust myself to scale plans at this point. I'm ok with a six inch draft. Kinda sounds silly but more than half the time I fish I used my other boat or kayak to get me to a spot then got out and waded...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Stinkyface, welcome to our Builders Forum!! Just spend a little time here on the Forum and I am confident you will make the right decision on which Boat is best for you!! Again, welcome and happy holidays, Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the Phantom 15. At 14-6 overall and 6-4 beam it seems to fit the bill nicely.
I think it could be built without the tunnel to make it easier for a first time builder but JM would have the final answer on that.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm

I also looked at the Phantom, which is another good choice, but I just love the lines of the OB15, and I may be wrong, but the 15 might pole better than the Phantom, but Jacques may have some perspective on that. The Phantom does use 3.5 more sheets of ply, and more resin and fabric, if budget is an issue.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:31 am

stinkyface?Hmmm. Better than being called S---thead. Welcome to the gang. You won,t find better info from the crowd 0n this forum. My previous boat name was "Sport'n A Woody". 16 Ft. Phantom Sixteen. Lots of great guys here. Enjoy and if you have problems they will get you straight and in the right direction. Happy New year to you. :D
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glu

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm

The Phantoms are wider and therefore use more plywood.
Yes, the PH15 can be built without a tunnel and that could be close to what you ask for.
Ken (Stickystuff) has built several Phantoms including a PH15 but his latest boat was a FS14 low sheer.
Ken is also the mind behind the XF20: it was his concept. He knows those boats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 pm

I built the ob15 and straightened the sheer as well as lowered it a bit. Great boat! Brought me to this site. There are photos of if in my gallery. I straightened it after it was put together on the molds. I think I marked the molds where I wanted the sheer to end? Been a long time now