LM18 "Cast & Blast"

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
silvermallard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

LM18 "Cast & Blast"

Post by silvermallard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:36 pm

I started building this boat a few weeks ago and wanted to document my build since their are only a few of this design being built. So far it has gone pretty smooth. I did have a little trouble with the bow guide. This is the first boat I have built with a bow guide and had to really customize it to get it to work for me. The wood I got from Jeff and Reid is incredible and I am going to hate painting over it, but with the 12 oz tape I see no alternative. I live up in the hills of north Georgia so when I'm not in the gulf or the Atlantic I will be running down ducks in it, that's is where I got the name.. I look forward to all of your suggestions and responses to the plethora of questions I will have..... gas tank, motor mount, console, foam filler, etc..... sorry the pics posted backwards..

Brian
Attachments
6unstitch.jpg
5stiched.jpg
4stitched.jpg
3Prestich.jpg
2TRANSOM.jpg
2bowguide.jpg
1FRAMESDONE.jpg

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LM18 "Cast & Blast"

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Very nice, thank you for posting the pictures.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Really nice work Silvermallard!! You will likely be the second LM18 completed and the first non-CNC Cut Kit!! Jeff

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Looking Good Brian!!!
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

alanmccabe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alanmccabe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 pm

That looks the business :-)
I love it when a plan comes together :lol:

silvermallard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by silvermallard » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 am

This weekend I was planning on taping the seams of the hull. I read online to do both seams and cloth at the same time. Unfortunately I don't have any cloth fiberglass. Would it be a big deal to go ahead and tape the boat and next weekend cover the bottom in cloth or should I wait until I get the cloth and do it in one day?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 am

Brian,

The reason builders like to epoxy the tape and wide cloth at the same time is to achieve a chemical bond and really good mechanical bond between the tape and wide cloth. This is call working "wet on wet". This is a preferred method, however, it is certainly not an issue if you don't do this. You can tape your seams with the 12oz. biax tape and come back later with the biax cloth. Just make sure you don't have any shiny epoxy spots when you are done taping. If you do, you will need to sand those spots lightly to ensure a good bond when the biax cloth is applied.
Good luck, and don't forget to wet out your wood before you apply any cloth or tape!

Talk to you soon,
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

silvermallard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by silvermallard » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Reid, thanks for the glassing advice, I am going to wait to do the taping until I have the cloth. Today I am sanding the chine and keel. When sanding the chine, how far should I round the edges from the bow to the stern before creating a more square radius? I am also wondering how well the fiberglass will bend to a square side? Should I just try and create a consistent 1/2" radius from bow to stern? Thanks, Brian

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 pm

silvermallard wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:43 pm
Today I am sanding the chine and keel. When sanding the chine, how far should I round the edges from the bow to the stern before creating a more square radius? I am also wondering how well the fiberglass will bend to a square side? Should I just try and create a consistent 1/2" radius from bow to stern? Thanks, Brian
Hi Brian,
Welcome to the forum and great luck with your build!
Maintain a consistent radius from bow to stern to allow the tape and fiberglass cloth to wrap easily. A 3/8" to 1/2" radius is perfect.
You will be able to sharpen up the chines and the lower edge of the stern transom later with a variety of epoxy mixtures...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak and FS18 "Bare Bones"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 am

I am excited to watch this build.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement