Has anyone used truck bed liner paint on the hull inside?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Has anyone used truck bed liner paint on the hull inside?

Post by Capt UB » Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 am

Safety first
4211046839_5d75d8018f_b.jpg
Ready to Rock and Roll.....
SFOtrip010-1.jpg

><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Holy Schmidt! Sherman set the WABAC machine to 1969!! 8)

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:51 am

Its good stuff. Its holding up well on my boat.
If you're going to roll it I would recommend doing it well below 80f ambient temperature. If its warm and humid I would recommend spraying it. The pot life is nothing close to what they advertise. If using it on decks I would add nonskid to it. That was recommended to me by the company president they claim no nonskid properties.
A pic he sent me showing monstaliner with nonskid added next to standard texture.Image
Finally, it will fade some if always exposed to the sun. Iv'e had to leave mine out for a couple of years now and you can see the fade when I unsnap my compartment covers. Not bad but noticeable, though with the covers snapped up it still looks awesome. My own stupidity for not covering the boat. :roll:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

steeps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by steeps » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm

I used Linerextreme on a kayak I made. The kayak is fiberglass over XPS foam, Painted with the bed liner. It’s touch as nails, love it.
Just a bit heavy.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

steeps wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm
I used Linerextreme on a kayak I made. The kayak is fiberglass over XPS foam, Painted with the bed liner. It’s touch as nails, love it.
Just a bit heavy.
Both hide a bit. The texture would be good looking on the INSIDE of the hull above the floor/sole.

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Yes, I'd guess heavy. My experience with 3 pickup commercially applied truck bed liners is that they seem to almost double the weight of the tailgate.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

als sturgeons
New Poster
New Poster

Post by als sturgeons » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:06 pm

I used the polyurethane w/o the rubber included but not in an open environment. My application was for fence building where I used it on the portion of the posts that went into the ground and for the kick boards sitting on the ground. So far they have held up in the sunlight (excess above ground) where there was a warning that the U.V. would degrade the product. What was still above ground seems to be holding up (10-15yrs). In my reading of white water skiff building there were a number of builders that used the bed liner application and found them to be very durable (bottom of hull) but suggested, in their application, a recoat at least once every two years. Depending on application I would believe that it would also make a good application for beaching hulls on a regular basis as long as one would keep a regular inspection log for it. Hope this may help. I'll either use this or put graphite in the last coat of epoxy to aide in beaching. Perhaps both products. Either way, I would not use truck poly. but order the poly. w/o as one would want a smooth surface on the hull surfaces in order that it would be easier to clean. That with the rubber in the poly. may make a good skid proofing but as I've not heard of any using it as such I couldn't say for sure.

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Capt UB

A little late here but as you read, Topwater, Noles and I have used Monstaliner with much success, it is the better one out there however;

Expensive, gallon does not cover much if spraying, not non-skid, very dirty and nauseating to use BUT super resistant to abuse, UV protected, color-fast, covers great, thick as a dime and is repairable. I did everything inside and out except the hull exterior on Penny. Any non faired areas will telegraph thru i.e. tape edges and seams will be visible. I sprayed the stuff on...

One good thing is it does not require primer over epoxy so you save a step. Sand and prep as per directions - very important. Whatever you do, do it outside (under cover) with plenty of circulating air and ample protection, especially eyes and breathing.Try to apply early morning when cool and without chance of precipitation.

Any more feedback, please do not hesitate to ask. Go for it :D
Marc

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:15 am

blueflood wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am
Hi Capt UB

A little late here but as you read, Topwater, Noles and I have used Monstaliner with much success, it is the better one out there however;

Expensive, gallon does not cover much if spraying, not non-skid, very dirty and nauseating to use BUT super resistant to abuse, UV protected, color-fast, covers great, thick as a dime and is repairable. I did everything inside and out except the hull exterior on Penny. Any non faired areas will telegraph thru i.e. tape edges and seams will be visible. I sprayed the stuff on...

One good thing is it does not require primer over epoxy so you save a step. Sand and prep as per directions - very important. Whatever you do, do it outside (under cover) with plenty of circulating air and ample protection, especially eyes and breathing.Try to apply early morning when cool and without chance of precipitation.

Any more feedback, please do not hesitate to ask. Go for it :D
Marc

Thanks for the information. Very close to finishing the inside, I'm putting down Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring on the fore deck, aft deck and sole. Sides of the hull and frames are where I want the bedliner (?).

I'm not setup for spraying and I'm in an open carport in Central Florida.

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Roll it on then...open car port is ideal.

Marc