FS17 in Steinhatchee

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 in Steinhatchee

Post by narfi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:34 am

It's a light boat. 4 guys can roll it on the grass easy with 0 support.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Narfi,

Usually one flips the boat before the inside is finished. In my case the inside is almost complete with sole installed with foam flotation underneath and alum fuel tank installed, uprights installed for the coaming, bulkheads installed, etc. All the floor and sides are glassed as well. It is far from being light. The sides are pretty well un-supported so they would bend and buckle if the boat weight was placed upon them during the flip. Look at the pictures and you can see the situation. Also this boat is the high shear version so the sides are about 6 inches higher than normal.

If it could be flipped without putting any weight on the sides it would work but I do not have a dozen huge strong guys to help me.

Oh well, will have to figure something out. I can not see painting the bottom and sides with the boat upright. At least I have a woodmizer sawmill so I can make any timber required for the flipping cradle.

Tom in Steinhatchee

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Tom don't understand why the sides are flexing are they not fiberglassed to the uprights? Use 12oz. biax tape if they are not. On the question of the rub rail it should be 3/4 not 1/2.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi TomW1,

Yes they are glassed to the sides and the sole but being high shear they extend 24 inches above the sole. I guess the sides are pretty strong the more I look at it. The rub rail is only 1 inch high by 1/2 inch thick so some strength loss there maybe. I would not want to break anything when I flip the boat so not putting full boat weight on the sides would be my preferred way to do it.

Thanks for the inputs.
Tom in Steinhatchee

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:00 pm

thb wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:24 am
Does anyone know what size the gunnel rub strips should be. This boat has 1-1/2 inch high by 1/2 thick ply. Seems to narrow to me.

Tom in Steinhatchee
The plans say,
Install the rubrail. It is important to install the rubrail before turning the hull over.
The rubrail is usually made of several layers of plywood strips epoxy glued.
And the image shows 3 layers in addition to the hull layer.

I used 4 layers of 1/4" in addition to the 1/4" hull which I think was overkill.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for the inputs. The previous owner of this boat did not give me a set of plans so I am going by seat of the pants. The rub rail is actually only 1 inch high by 1/2 thick. It looks like Okoume strip. The bow on this extended shear version comes up rather quickly about 6 ft from bow so maybe he had hard time forming it. Who knows. I think I may beef it up with another 1/4 inch strip.

Tom in Steinhatchee

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:02 pm

if you're not comfortable flipping the boat in it's current state just add a few braces across the gunwales to keep it from flexing. i built a 3 rung ladder 10 feet long and 8 feet wide and screwed it to the rubrails when i flipped my FS17, it made handling it so easy I flipped it myself and got it on it's cradle without letting it ever touch the ground.

The pictures aren't the best but i think they show how it went together.

Just having a secure place to grab it makes a world of difference

Chuck

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 am

Hi Chuck,

Your input was quite useful and I think I will use your method. Add some more rubrail thickness first to further stiffen things up.

Your epoxy graphite job looks real good. That is what I did with my FS14 and just left it that way on the bottom. Painted the sides and the very front of the bottom but epoxy graphite the keel and rear part of the bottom.

Thanks for the input. Is your boat finished?

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am

Glad I could help.

The "grayphite" bottom is the worst idea I've ever had (ok, at lest top 100). I didn't want a shiny black bottom so I mixed some light grey tint with the epoxy and graphite powder. It turned out pretty well but now it's faded and I've boogered it up cutting scupper holes and need to touch it up. Absolutely no way to match the color. Now I can't even remember why I didn't want a shiny black bottom in the first place.

Boat's not finished yet but getting close. I may be slow but at least I'm plodding and methodical, thanks for asking.

Chuck

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi Chuck,

I was trying to find your build thread to see some more pictures of your build. Do you have a build thread with any pictures of the inside configuration.

Thanks again.
Tom In Steinhatchee