Preparing for GT27 build - questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Preparing for GT27 build - questions

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:03 pm

About the hull shape: yes, there is only one but you may be thinking of the GT23. Years ago, I showed two hull versions for that boat, a displacement one, and a planing one. Some builders put the accommodations of the heavy boat on the planing hull and that created problems. I redesigned the GT23 and now propose only one hull type.
There was never a hull type option for the GT27.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Nice Wes! That boat could be ge ultimate overnight crappie slayer on the lake. FWIW: For epoxies; I’ve used Marinepoxy, Silvertip, MAS, and the west marine systems. The nicest is Silvertip followed by MAS imo. For the money though I would use slow hardener Marinepoxy. It has WAY less blush problems compared to West, It’s 2:1, and in our weather lays down nicely. In the winter it can become too thick, but I just keep it in a small cooler with a portable heater set on low, and it still works well. I will say that on winter work I used medium or fast gardener.

I know that you’re very experienced as well, and probably already have your favorite set up. Can’t wait to see you get started, and hope you start up a builders thread!

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Jacques, thanks for clearing that up. Hope I'm not being tedious asking about all these details. I appreciate your input and just want to make sure I do this right. I'll try my best to document the build for others, just so there's a resource for future GT27 builders.

Hey Will, thanks for the epoxy suggestions. I've had really good luck with Raka so I'm leaning toward them because by now I'm so familiar with their products and I've never had a ounce of trouble using any of the two resins and three different types of hardeners I've had from them. Their prices are also hard to beat. I have heard good things about MAS, but don't know much about Silvertip. I'll check into both of those a little.

As of 2pm today, I just received and moved somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 lbs. of Okoume into my garage, so there's no turning back now... It's glorious to see all that beautiful BS1088 wood--all 64 cubic feet of it--but man, I hope I never have to accept a shipment that large in the Georgia heat ever again. Delivery driver was a good sport. He didn't have a pallet jack big enough to get the load onto the lift gate, so we had to take it off sheet by sheet. Ugh. Tough job. I gave him an ice cold drink plus dinner money to thank him, so we parted amicably. :)
Wes

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 pm

wkisting wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:14 pm
He didn't have a pallet jack big enough to get the load onto the lift gate, so we had to take it off sheet by sheet. Ugh. Tough job. I gave him an ice cold drink plus dinner money to thank him, so we parted amicably. :)
Good on you! A lot of people would expect the driver to do it all and some drivers would not lift a finger to help with an off load. But because you treated him right he will treat his next customer right. Passing it forward.

Good luck on your build and enjoy the adventure of it. I am getting my popcorn ready for it! Oh, and don't forget the pictures!

OQ

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:57 pm

For the resin, try our MarinEpoxy. It is very close to Raka. Larry, the owner of Raka, and I started our business at the same time, in the same area. We discussed epoxy often and his formulation is the same than ours. Call Jeff, he'll give you a deal on our resin.
PS: I have no financial interest in the sales of MarinEpoxy, it's just a good product.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:31 am

Wes

Silver tip is really high end epoxy, and is sold through bateau. Marinepoxy is the standard low blush sold here as well. I’ve heard really good things about Raka, but have never used it personally.

Let me know if you need a hand with this monster,

Will

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:34 pm

PM me if you like; I have some advice.

Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:25 am

Hey Will, I'll definitely appreciate help! At the urging of my girls, I measured and cut out the first four hull panels (one half of the bottom) yesterday and WOW was that hard work in the Georgia sunshine. Looks like rain in the forecast for much of this week and then we're heading to Beaufort, SC this coming weekend, but maybe the weekend after that....

Certainly, once I get to muscling the joined panels into position on the jig (I think I'm going to do the jig), that will take help for sure. Hard to imagine lifting them into position without at least a couple extra pairs of hands.
Wes

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 am

Just a quick update... Got one set of the side panels for the hull cut out too. After a little family getaway this weekend, I'll get serious building. I've pretty much settled on the jig approach just so I can finish the bottom to completion, which means I'll only have to flip the hull once. It will also be much nicer to 'glass the interior without the floor stringers in the way. Once I get the jig built, I'll start a build thread and post some pictures.

Hey Jacques, the plans spec 1208 cloth for the bottom and the (optional) inside 'glassing. Is that 8 oz. mat really necessary on both sides? I'm looking for any acceptable way to cut weight, so I was thinking I could go with 1200 cloth (no mat) for the inside. I realize the plans indicate that I can skip the interior 'glass altogether, but I do like the extra water and abrasion protection. Just wondering your opinion as to whether omitting the 8 oz. mat inside makes a substantial difference in strength/stiffness and what your preference would be, as designer, if you were building one.
Wes

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:58 am

Wes, I’m surprised that the plans specify 1208. The majority of the plans I’ve seen use layers of 12oz 45/45 no mat. All the mat really adds is thickness anyways. Also, isn’t 1208 12oz 45/45 biax May? Not 8oz? We’ll see what Jacques says, but I bet the no mat biax will be just fine.

I definitely agree with you about putting down a layer of fiberglass on all exposed surfaces. Just gives you extra piece of mind on water intrusion.

Will

Edit: shoot me a text when you need a hand. I’m working in the PICU all next week, but I can always find some time to work on a boat 8)