GF16 mid seat ears?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
piperdown
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF16 mid seat ears?

Post by piperdown » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Did a search but nothing came up. I've looked at quite a few of the GF16 and GF12 builds but I have a question (forgive me if this is not the right section to ask).

How did you guys that made the GF16, 14 or 12 make those "ears" on the mid-seat? Soup can tracing? Something larger? Use a wooden shelf bracket and trace that? I'm not very good at free hand curves.

I've got the stern transom, the fore deck and forward frame cut out. Stopped at the forward mid-seat after tracing out the straight lines. As I've read numerous times, I stopped and "pondered' for an hour or so, tried a few things but it's not coming together. Even a beer didn't help :doh:

Eric (aka, piperdown)

Impossibility is a greater motivational force than probability.
The human condition dictates this. ~Matthew Good

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 mid seat ears?

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Piperdown. I tried thinking once and nothing came up then either. :)

I can not help with your question but you are posting in the right place and pictures help and if you have plans then you can reference a page number, drawing of figure # if possible.

Good Luck on your build,

OQ

piperdown
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by piperdown » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:33 pm

It on drawing D218/3 at the top of the page. From the large sheets. The rear seat frame has an arrow to the ear and a legend that says R3 but I'm not finding a reference to R3.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 pm

The r3 is a 3" radius, at least that is what I took it as. I 3d printed a template and used that on all curves. Look around for a can that is close to 6" diameter. Maybe a quart paint can???

piperdown
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by piperdown » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm

The more creative side of the family (i.e., the wife) walked by and asked what I was staring at. I told her my dilemma, she proceeds to draw it out and boom! Nice looking ears. I made a template from her drawing out of cardboard so now all the ears will match. Gotta know our limitations......
Eric (aka, piperdown)