GF16 Kansas build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
piperdown
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF16 Kansas build

Post by piperdown » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 am

Whelp, I seem to use forums to document everything else I have as a hobby might as well go ahead and document my GF16 build (haven't figured out the picture thing here yet, but I will).

I got interested in building a boat a while ago. About 6 years ago, down and around the corner of our neighborhood, a guy built a detached garage. Saw it going up every morning and evening heading in and coming back from work. Fun watching construction projects go up. Well, about 3 months after it was finished, noticed the gentleman was building something :doh: Took a while to figure out he was building a boat! 8O Started me thinking (which the wife says is never good).

Bit about me. Grew up on a farm in Idaho. Was a tire buster then mechanic for a short time after HS. Also sold cars, did car wash maintenance, helped a roofer I knew, did siding. All this and not making a lot of money led me back to finishing college. Run a safety office now in Missouri but live on the Kansas side.

Anyhoo, picked up fly fishing from my uncles but didn't boat much. Most of the fishing I did was on river banks or in the creek. Nice rainbow trout, some cutthroat or browns depending on where I was fishing.

Started looking at boats after I organized a fishing trip with friends a couple years ago. Nothing I've looked at I've been overly impressed with and prices for used boats are mostly ridiculous IMO.

After putting together a punch list of house needs, I realized I NEED something to take my mind off of house repairs/improvements, and my other hobbies are only short time stuff. So, after much thought, went back to my bookmarks, and sure enough, still had the link to Bateau.

At first I was going to be more ambitious but let reason sneak back in and figured the GF16 would be perfect for the first build. Relatively flat, few sheets, etc. Plus, my fiberglassing skills are extremely limited and rusty. Had a body shop guy I knew let me "help" him fix some fiberglass on 70's Corvettes' (meaning he watched me like a hawk and usually elbowed me aside :lol: ). That was almost 30 years ago 8O

So, sorta cleaned out the garage this past week (need to finish up a few other projects to really clear some room), built a long work table on casters, actually found some decent exterior 1/2 plywood 8O for the seat frames and am patiently waiting on the 4 sheets of 1/4 marine plywood plus epoxy and tape to be delivered. Shopping around for cloth and see what prices I can find.

Other than the table, the progress I've made is cutting out the transom, foredeck, and forward frame. I've got the midseat forward side, midseat rear side, bow transom, and 1 clamping board traced out and ready to cut. Need to get the seat tops, rear seat frame and last clamping board traced.

All this was done between, getting siding to change the front of the house, ripping out a decorative evergreen that was dying, bunch of old bushes, installing 2 new windows. Nice to take a break from the house stuff and relax, ponder, draw and cut. :D

Off to get cleaned up for church, grab lunch with the family, get some shopping done and then starting to tear off the cedar shake siding on a bump out in the front of the house. Depending on how long everything takes I might even get another panel or 2 cut out :D

Eric (aka, piperdown)

Impossibility is a greater motivational force than probability.
The human condition dictates this. ~Matthew Good

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GF16 Kansas build

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Start a build thread, post pictures and most of all have fun :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Welcome piperdown!! We look forward to watching your build!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Great intro!! Have fun with the build and don't forget, if you get stuck on something, ask the wife! :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi and welcome. Look forward to your build. :D

piperdown
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by piperdown » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks Gents!

Moved the build over to the <cough, cough> power boat build section :oops:

I've been having a great time reading the forum and following along with some of the builds on here.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

Impossibility is a greater motivational force than probability.
The human condition dictates this. ~Matthew Good