C 17 Classic

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Wazz
New Poster
New Poster

C 17 Classic

Post by Wazz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:34 am

As this boat is a Stitch and Glue project, the plans call for BS 1088 Marine ply "Meranti or better" as all the hull ply is totally sandwiched by fiber glass is it possible to use a lesser grad of ply??

Top quality marine ply here in Australia is quite expensive, But if its first class marine ply required; so be it

Wazz

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C 17 Classic

Post by Rmarsh » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:10 am

Welcome Wazz....C17 is a great choice. I built my C17 using BS 1088 marine grade meranti and occume. I have been in construction of homes and cabinets for the last 45 years and have worked with every type of plywood from CDX to AA finish grade cabinet plywood. The meranti plywood seems twice as strong as anything else of the same thickness due to the many more veneers. That being said I think you would be making a mistake using anything but the best plywood.

Go for it!
Bob

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:25 am

Welcome Wazz. Us Aussies are fortunate to have Austral hoop pine marine ply available to us, which exceeds the specs of the US stuff. Check out Boat Craft Pacific for specs and supply. And ask fellow Aussie Justin Dwyer (see his P19 thread on this forum) about the dangers of using cheaper plywood. All the best with your build - she's a nice boat. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:39 am

Welcome Wazz!!! You will enjoy being a part of our Builders Forum, great people with excellent skills!!! Again, welcome, Jeff

Wazz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wazz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Thank you Bob, Glossieblack and Jeff for your kind information and welcome, I come as a "Very" green want to build a boat builder, as I have never attempted anything like this before it is going to be quite a challenge.

I have taken your advise Glossiesblack and have sent off an email to Boat Craft Pacific, thanks for that.

Looking forward to the challenge.

Wazz

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 am

The C17 is a great design, good luck with it. Start a build thread and share pictures, you'll have a record to look back on, and you'll have more experienced builders looking over your shoulder who can let you know if something doesn't look right. The best place to upload your photos is in your gallery here.

Something to consider- generally the first big fiberglass work that gets done on these boats is the taping and glassing of the hull, the most important part. As with most things, you'll get better with practice, and you may look back on your first attempt as not your best results. The advice I got and agree with is choose a simple and small boat like a canoe or rowboat and build that first. You'll gain experience there that will pay you back on the C17. The most common mistake for new builders is to use too much resin, which makes for a heavier boat with somewhat less strength. With practice you'll make stronger fiberglass layups using less resin and that will save you money.

Another bit of advice is to work neatly- once epoxy sets up it is darned strong and hard to remove (pay extra attention to inside corners). Use drop cloths, tape off finished work, take a minute to clean off the excess glue; it's a little time spent to save a lot of time cleaning up. If you haven't done so already, read the tutorials, they will help.
Hank

Wazz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wazz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks Hank, yes the build is a little daunting as a first time build, for that reason it is my intention to re think my approach.

I intend to read up on the tutorials as suggested (by all) pre going for the C17 build I am going to order the Flat Skiff 12 as a starting point for the purpose of gaining the confidence to start on the C 17 build?

If i can't build this I may as well go back to playing marbles, but then again i wasn't much good at that ether?

Wazz

Wazz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wazz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi all, after researching small boat plans I have decided to look at the FS 14 before going for the larger C17, from this I believe this should give me the confidence to attack the larger boat.

My question at this point of time however, is in looking at the "Study Plans" as in all cases Bateau2 plans call for Biaxial tape and fabric is there an Australia alternative or can somebody advise where can I locate the Biaxial product.

I am located on the Tweed /Gold Coast and can't find an outlet that stocks it?

Any help would be great, thanks
Wazz

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi Wazz,

Check out Boat Craft Pacific (as Glossie said). I live in Darwin and get all my stuff sent from those guys, even after I had issues with the first shipment of wood, they replaced all my wood and fibreglass at their own cost to Darwin. But I agree to get better wood. You will put a lot of time and effort into building your boat (even a smaller one) and not trusting the wood will cause you sleepless nights. The wood I got was completely sealed against water, but this didn't stop the wood from delaminating from being crap quality.

Here is their website:
https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/

This is the tape you want for your seams: Double Bias Tape 150mm wide, 420 gsm (we call it double bias in Aus)
https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php ... c5d436c8eb

This is the cloth you want for the hull: Double Bias 420 gsm 1.27m wide E Glass
https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php ... c5d436c8eb

Good luck, you'll enjoy it.
Justin