Maintaining panel gap

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Pensacola Fl

Maintaining panel gap

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 am

I am getting to post more them I should but was out in the shop and have another question. I read about using nails and such to maintain gaps in hull panels but was curious on how the fit should be. In the front the nails are under pretty intense pressure getting squeezed between the panels. Is that okay or should there be a loose fit? Just trying to figure out if I need to remove material or pitch the nail then tack with epoxy to hold. Thanks Rich



Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:34 pm
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by Reid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 am

Rich,

The main goal is to avoid any wood touching wood (these are called "hard spots"). You want to leave a gap between all panels (1/8" give or take) wide enough for the epoxy glue to get in and make a good bond. The nails provide a guide to keep a consistent gap but they are not necessary in every spot. When you get to the bow things tend to get a little tighter. You may need to shave some of the wood back or make some adjustments aft in order to release some pressure. The most important things are to maintain a square shape that is free of convex or concave areas on the hull panels and avoid any panels contacting each other leaving no room for the epoxy glue.

Good luck,
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Pensacola Fl

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 am

Reid wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 am
Rich,

The main goal is to avoid any wood touching wood (these are called "hard spots"). You want to leave a gap between all panels (1/8" give or take) wide enough for the epoxy glue to get in and make a good bond. The nails provide a guide to keep a consistent gap but they are not necessary in every spot. When you get to the bow things tend to get a little tighter. You may need to shave some of the wood back or make some adjustments aft in order to release some pressure. The most important things are to maintain a square shape that is free of convex or concave areas on the hull panels and avoid any panels contacting each other leaving no room for the epoxy glue.

Good luck,
Reid
Okay I got it. So I have some tight spots like below....I'll plan on running a 1/8" router bit down the seam where ever the panels touch and just work my way forward. I can force them together but that blows the ply upward. So I need to remove material not force it. Thanks
20181128_213059.jpg
You can see what I believe will be a hard spot in the picture above

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:34 pm
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by Reid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 am

Before you start taking out material, get all the panels stitched completely together first. Leave the zip ties really loose so you have plenty of wiggle room and then start to tighten them slowly, paying attention to what the rest of the boat does when you tighten certain sections. I would hate to see you take away material until you have had a chance to see it fully assembled.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Pensacola Fl

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Got it I'll try that tonight and post a picture....it feels like I need to remove but let's verify

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5096
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm

I would make sure you have an oscillating tool around. Makes trimming ply ez.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Pensacola Fl

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:14 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm
I would make sure you have an oscillating tool around. Makes trimming ply ez.
I dont have one and this sounds like more then enough reason to go add to the collection.....good tip

User avatar
Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Montana

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by Lon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:24 pm

I always strive for this result-a Cracker Larry photo: Image
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Pensacola Fl

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:43 pm

So made some progress will probably be redoing tonight but let me know your thoughts. So pulled everything pretty close but I feel like I will have to remove some material. First is the front coming together looks pretty goo but I noted I could see frame a sticking out, picture two. Looking underneath the panels are floating off frame a based on being pulled to meet the bow mold. If that is okay I can probably get everything tightened up but feels like I need to remove material and loosen things up
20181129_223238.jpg
20181129_223245.jpg
20181129_223310.jpg

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2828
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Maintaining panel gap

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 am

rbecker08 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:14 pm
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm
I would make sure you have an oscillating tool around. Makes trimming ply ez.
I dont have one and this sounds like more then enough reason to go add to the collection.....good tip
I bought mine from Harbor freight and got it for less than $20.00 for the variable speed. Then the single speed was put on a coupon a few weeks later "spend $50.00 and get it for free" so I now have 2. The blades and sanding attachments is where you can spend some money fast. Having two I keep them both very handy on the work bench. I just dropped another $50.00 on consumables.

It is one of those power tools that pop into your head after you have exhausted all ideas on how to get something cut or sanded and then you think of it. Then you go "SOB, I should of thought of it first!" :wink:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bklake and 1 guest