Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 pm

FluidDynamic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:28 pm
I think I'm going to put another coat of primer over whole boat after sanding through in alot of places. After the next coat, how can I sand and not sand through the primer. It feels very smooth, but if you shine a light, I can see a slight orange peel. Can't feel it, but can see it. If I have to sand this down, wont I keep sanding through the primer.
To avoid sand through, the best way is to step up to a higher grit, like 120. But you might not get the orange peel all the way...the only thing to do after that is to use something like sprayfair..above the waterline only I think

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

deering
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by deering » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 am

Been reading through this build process with a lot of interest. FluidD, you are doing an awesome job! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

I’m interested in building a PG20. Mine will be more of a workboat so I probably (certainly) won’t be doing the meticulous job you’re doing. I’m wondering two things that I hope you can help with:

1. The study plans list the hull weight at 1,000 lbs. That seems very high to me. Do you have a rough weight estimate on yours yet?

2. One of the main reasons the PG20 interests me is its narrow beam. I need it to fit through the transom gate of my big boat so I can drag it up on the aft deck when traveling. Allows me to avoid towing. What beam are you measuring at the widest point? How high is the gunnel above the keel at that point? I’ll probably need to reduce the maximum beam by a few more inches. I’m thinking I can do that by tilting the sides up a little more vertically in that section. No doubt that’ll have some impacts on panel sizing, but not so much that I can’t adjust - thoughts?

Thanks for posting your progress. Looking forward to seeing her floating.

cvincent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cvincent » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:16 am

I used 120 grit but did not sand to aggressively followed by 220 grit. I sprayed one full coat of EMC and completely sanded the first coat of EMC with 320 grit. The first coat of EMC makes a very smooth base. I then sprayed two coats of EMC and the finish looks like a mirror.
Completed D15, Building PH18

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:39 pm

deering wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 am
Been reading through this build process with a lot of interest. FluidD, you are doing an awesome job! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

I’m interested in building a PG20. Mine will be more of a workboat so I probably (certainly) won’t be doing the meticulous job you’re doing. I’m wondering two things that I hope you can help with:

1. The study plans list the hull weight at 1,000 lbs. That seems very high to me. Do you have a rough weight estimate on yours yet?

2. One of the main reasons the PG20 interests me is its narrow beam. I need it to fit through the transom gate of my big boat so I can drag it up on the aft deck when traveling. Allows me to avoid towing. What beam are you measuring at the widest point? How high is the gunnel above the keel at that point? I’ll probably need to reduce the maximum beam by a few more inches. I’m thinking I can do that by tilting the sides up a little more vertically in that section. No doubt that’ll have some impacts on panel sizing, but not so much that I can’t adjust - thoughts?

Man that is one big boat if you can put a panga on the back deck :!: How wide is the opening? The panga would make a great tender/fishing platform.

deering
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by deering » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm

51 ft by 14 ft. The back deck is about 25 ft long and wide open. There’s a 6’ wide ‘tailgate’ that flips down on the transom with rollers that allow me to drag a skiff up on the deck. There are railings on the tailgate that reduce the clearance by a few inches, so any skiff has to be a bit shy of a 6’ BOA. The boat is aluminum. I finished the major refit this spring and it’s working out great.

I’m looking for the biggest skiff I can haul aboard when need be. I’d use it especially for crabbing and shrimping, with a hydraulic davit. The self-bailing deck is a huge plus. Generally I’d tow it, but there are times when pulling it onboard would be the best option.

If I can pull in the gunnels of the PG20 by just a couple inches it could work. Or if the gunnels are tall enough, they might pass over the top of the railings.

FluidDynamic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FluidDynamic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:17 pm

deering wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 am

I think mine will be a little on the heavier side. I think I saw a post where it was stated it was 1000 pounds +or- 200 pounds. I'm shooting for around 1600 to 1900 rigged out. It's around 74" wide. I'm not sure how you would narrow boat. If you pull the gunnels in by cutting the frames a little shorter, wouldn't the sides have bows in them. Probably have to modify the side panel dimensions. Keel to gunnel is around 26" to 28" at the widest point.

Sorry for late reply. It's been too hot in garage to do anything. 100 degree days equal 120 in my garage. I'm still sanding the orange peel out of my primer. To do this, I'm having to sand through in a bunch of areas. I'm afraid the next coat of primer will do the same. Maybe when it cools down in a month, it will lay out better. I want to paint the boat, but the weather isn't suitable.

deering
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by deering » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for.

To narrow it I’m thinking that I’d bring in the top of the widest frame and then run a batten to determine how much adjustment the intermediate frames would require for fairness. From that I’ll need to modify the side panels, probably on three sides, though I don’t think by very much. The result will be side panels a bit more vertical, which might mean a bit more spray and a bit less reserve buoyancy, but really the difference shouldn’t be dramatic.

How many frames are there between the transom and the bow?

Incidentally, heat won’t be the issue here. I rarely use slow hardener...

FluidDynamic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FluidDynamic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:42 pm

6 plus transom.

FluidDynamic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FluidDynamic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Frames
Attachments
IMG_20190109_213129.jpg

FluidDynamic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FluidDynamic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:51 am

Hope to be back at it in a couple of weeks. The weather hasn't been conductive for painting. Its been 100 plus in the garage and 90% humidity. Weather window is right around the corner.