Port A XF 20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CatfishHunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Port A XF 20

Post by CatfishHunter » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:01 pm

here's my 2 cents, i'm not giving much adivice but a little info on my build. after moving my decks a tad my central area is 10ft... 6 ft front deck 4 ft rear. The floor sits on top of spurring strips on top of the stringers (i used 4 stringers instead of 2) The floor seems like it is very high already any higher i'm not sure i'd feel comfortable with the side height.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:58 am

Doc,
I put my fuel tank under the bow deck, it sits on top of the stringers.
My baitwell is built into the front of the helm console. It’s your basic seat console.
I didn’t put in a fishbox but there’s plenty of room under the rear deck.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:13 am

I prefer to avoid placing fuel tanks aft. The fuel sloshes back and all the weight goes to the stern and the hole shot is affected, more so in rougher sea. Otoh, fuel placed too far forward can cause corking at low speeds which is horrid for slow trolling and makes the boat difficult to track. So I like fuel tanks centered just a bit of the centerlines...like center of tank is 1' ahead of center.

I am surprised JM does not have a recommendation for this craft.

I like to use liveboxes to offset my weight. So if I am aft; livewells forward is preferred. It is nice to use the well to tame a rough ride in bigger seas. The problem is for fish handling; a real pita to walk to the bow for any fish. For your boat, function is better. Put the livewell and bait toward the areas where baiting and unhooking are most likely. If you plan to cast off the foredeck mostly; then forward. If you fish from the console; then nearer the co sole. Just like a kitchen; make it ez to get to the places instead of walking around passengers, consoles, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you gentlemen and Happy New Year . This is going to be my best yet! If you guys have half as much fun as me I will have twice as much fun as you. Tight lines and fish on!

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:42 am

Please indulge me once again. What do you use for cleats, deck supports, beams under decking. Pine 1x2 sealed with epoxy? Laminated Okume? Thanks again. Pete

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:50 am

I used cedar then sealed it. I'm not sure what size you need, but for me 1 inch by 1 inch was plenty for my LM18. Menards sells a cedar decking board that is a full 1" X 5.5" actual measurement not the weird lumber standards. Then I rip it into what ever I need.

Thanks
Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64254

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:58 am

I used 1x1 pine sealed in epoxy.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:39 am

I bought a 4" X 4" X 96" Douglas fir post ($11.00) and ripped down to 1" X 1" X 96" boards with my circular saw. sealed with neat epoxy and glued in where needed.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Dr Pete, call me next week as I need to get a check out to you for the show!! 772.742.8535. Jeff

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Taped in the bulkheads today. One of those milestones that there’s really nothing to show. All the headaches out of the way and now time to put the lipstick on the pig, Decks, fishbox, baitwell etc. I started almost to the day a year ago. Had 6 months that I did not even see the boat. It’s going to get fun again. Thanks for all the advice. Going to need advice on toys and accessories. I can plumb and electrify a house. Never done a boat. Game on