FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
GuyP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by GuyP » Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Exterior hull glassing complete!!!!! 99 hours into it. Used 3 and 3/4 gallons of mixed epoxy. My wife Lyn helped lay out the 20 ft sections of cloth and move the butt joined panels to the jig. Scaling the plan back 5% was not too difficult. Exercised a few of those stagnant brain cells.
Attachments
CCB2E972-A9C8-4AA0-BA10-AAFA392FDC02.jpeg
61D67F81-2707-4EAB-AEB4-C87AD8B36BA5.jpeg
89888260-1CF2-41D3-BAF5-FC735D804817.jpeg
4A67DA14-6AE6-44CC-8E14-4B2E8D538B35.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Looking good and ready for sanding!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Sanding, Yeah! :D

GuyP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm

So I guess a random orbital is the way to go. I’ll need to educate myself on what’s next. I’ll be installing wooden spray rails and strikes and glassing them. So I’d think that’s next. Don’t see a tutorial on filling weave and fairing. I believe that’s what all that wood flour and blended filler that comes in the kits is for. Where should I look to move forward?

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 pm

GuyP wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm
So I guess a random orbital is the way to go. I’ll need to educate myself on what’s next. I’ll be installing wooden spray rails and strikes and glassing them. So I’d think that’s next. Don’t see a tutorial on filling weave and fairing. I believe that’s what all that wood flour and blended filler that comes in the kits is for. Where should I look to move forward?
I don't know the plans for the FS19 (seems like I have a bunch of others). If they are like other plans, attach the spray rails and strakes first, especially if glassing then in place. I know JM doesn't always indicate glassing over the splash rails and strakes but a lot of us do. After that then comes the filling of the weave, but most of us just use fairing compound. You can use neat epoxy for that, just a thin layer if you like. Using the fairing mix stretches the epoxy so you don't end up using so much for filling the weave. The fairing compound BBC sells is glass microballons and fumed silica, no wood flour. Wood flour could be used but it's a much tougher mix and more difficult to sand, and, you're going to be sanding a LOT!
I find their fairing compound easy to use. I'll use it for the first couple of coats and then switch to Quick Fair for the final round as others have done.
As CL often said, the first layer of fairing is thin, meaning not thick. Easy to fill the weave and spread around. The next couple of layers are a bit thicker and meant to build the low spots.

I just started a limited fairing on my GF16. Here you can see the BBC fairing compound I just put on to fill the weave. First coat of many to come and lots of sanding. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63419&start=140

If you don't have one get a flour sifter. The silica has a tendency to clump up. I bought a cheap one at a local grocery store for $3 and it works great. Put about a 2 cups of the fairing mix in the sifter and sift into another container. Use that to mix into the epoxy. It breaks down most of the silica and the rest I push through the mesh by hand, then mix the material with my hands in the second container to evenly disperse the stuff.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu May 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Blue tape is location of stringers. Are strikes ok inside the stringers? I know trailer bunks should line up with stringers so strake should be kept clear. Also was thinking they would be 8 ft long and end 8” forward of transom. Does placement sound OK?

GuyP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Blue tape is stringer location.
Attachments
DC46F529-59FA-4DBB-92A2-E7E347D94B38.jpeg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Do you plan on glassing those down or just gluing them and epoxy sealing?

If you plan to glass them down, you might consider rounding the corner over before you glue it down. I did it afterwords, and had trouble getting my router to fit against the edge there. You need a rounded edge for the glass to lay over, then once glassed build the the sharpened edge back up (if you want it sharp).

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 pm

narfi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm
Do you plan on glassing those down or just gluing them and epoxy sealing?

If you plan to glass them down, you might consider rounding the corner over before you glue it down. I did it afterwords, and had trouble getting my router to fit against the edge there. You need a rounded edge for the glass to lay over, then once glassed build the the sharpened edge back up (if you want it sharp).
Oh Lord YES! do all the shaping prior to gluing them down if you plan on glassing them. Lesson learned from my runners. Would have been much easier to do all the rounding and shaping first, even if I wasn't going to glass them.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm

I should have mentioned that they’d be glassed. Thanks for tip. I will round before gluing down. Does placement as well as 8’ length look ok?