FS18 on the double!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on the double!

Post by Jacky Chan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:36 am

Right I've now got all the fairing compound on and have cobbled together a sanding longboard to hopefully get things nice and fair tomorrow. Am I right that the teeny-weeny little holes should get filled with by either the primer or the graphite + epoxy?

Speaking of graphite, I saw the Cracker Larry masterclass on how to apply it, which was obviously amazing, but I am a bit wary of sanding in between coats, even with the wet and dry paper - I've seen some photos of builders where sanding the graphite has gone a bit pear-shaped... :help: Does anyone know the best way to go about sanding the graphite in between coats - just lightly with 120grit-ish, so the next coat has something to grip onto, or does the roller leave bumps that needs to be really sanded down?

I've also had to make a new ridgeline for my tarp boatyard as the wind and rain make a worrying combination... while we dont have hurricanes here, it will often be pretty windy for a bit (loosening the tarp) and then rain heavily (making huge puddles in my shoddy roof that is too flat..!!). I have to go away for a week soon so this should give the roof a fighting chance...! :? Good excuse to not spend too long on the fairing and get this boat built before it all caves in!
file-38.jpeg
file1-18.jpeg
file2-15.jpeg
file3-11.jpeg
file4-7.jpeg
file5-4.jpeg
file6-3.jpeg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 pm

I faired the bottom and then applied graphite and epoxy, wet on wet ( within 12 hours) , 3 thin coats. Biggest trick is to sift the graphite (I used a tea strainer) and THOROUGHLY mix before applying to avoid clumping. Mix it with just the resin and then add the hardener. It spread out nicely, and remember....no one except the fish are going to see it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 pm

Haha good point thanks Cape Man. Love the idea of wet on wet and no sanding! :D

Sounds like you might have used a squeegee spreader, or was it a roller? Thanks

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Jacky Chan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 pm
Haha good point thanks Cape Man. Love the idea of wet on wet and no sanding! :D

Sounds like you might have used a squeegee spreader, or was it a roller? Thanks
I think most just rolled it on. That's what I plan on doing. I'm getting close to that point and figure I'll try and roll about 4 coats on. Means most of a Sat or Sun.
I bought a flour sifter that I was using to break up the chunks of the fairing compound (silica likes to clump) and will probably use that for the graphite.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 pm

Very nice work!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am

I had a bunch of nibs in my graphite, despite mixing and did wet sand on one of the coats. It's not a big deal. I used a spray bottle of water in one hand and the sandpaper in the other. Did a few square feet at a time. Better to roll all the coats on at once though, wet on wet, Cape Man style. I do know I fussed too much over mine. Years later I still haven't crawled under the boat to look at her bottom again. Heck why would I?

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:11 am

Jacky Chan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:36 am
Speaking of graphite, I saw the Cracker Larry masterclass on how to apply it, which was obviously amazing, but I am a bit wary of sanding in between coats, even with the wet and dry paper - I've seen some photos of builders where sanding the graphite has gone a bit pear-shaped... :help: Does anyone know the best way to go about sanding the graphite in between coats - just lightly with 120grit-ish, so the next coat has something to grip onto, or does the roller leave bumps that needs to be really sanded down?
The goal is to do all the coats of graphite/epoxy without doing any sanding. Thin coats are best, and done as cleanly as possible. If you get lumps, sometimes called "the uglies", you may have to sand those flush. If it requires extensive sanding, do it wet, as it will be extremely messy if done dry. If you see the roller is leaving bubbles, some timely yet judicious work with a heat gun or torch will get most of them.

A short nap roller seems to be the favorite applicator; get a good quality roller cover and use masking tape to remove loose fibers from it before you start. I don't recall seeing perfect results on any builds, so do the best you can and don't worry about some minor flaws.

Love your garden in the background, very nice! Oh, and the boat is looking good, too!
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 am

Nice progress JC!!! Jeff

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Been a bit busy this week but managed to carve out a day today to sort out the graphite. I've got three coats down and about to do a 4th. Its a pretty warm day by english standards (about 28C) but just for good measure I left the epoxy resin by a heater overnight... no problems in getting the graphite to dissolve!! :D
file-42.jpeg
Only issue was in leaving it to stand for a minute too long with the second coat, around midday when it was hottest too, the mixture started getting really claggy and left a few peaks where it had been too thick on the roller. I tried flattening them out with a rolling pin and some plastic sheet which worked well enough (could have tried it sooner) and got them down to a respectable level of bumpiness!!

ALl in all i'm pretty happy with it - its not perfectly smooth but perhaps graphite never is? I'm telling myself that sharks have deliberately rough skin in order to go faster, now this boat does too! It has showed up plenty of fairing imperfections but I am going for a fast build... my next boat will have more time spent on the fairing stage 8)

Getting really excited about flipping her over once the sides are painted and having a look at her from a different angle :)

Also getting carried away thinking of the fishing opportunities she is going to unlock! :D Still a while off but I feel like its downhill from the flip all the way to firing the motor up. Thinking of borrowing RJS Redchaser's carbon fibre side-mounted grab rail idea to mount a fishfinder, some more rod holders and, of course, cup holders :wink:
file-41.jpeg
file1-20.jpeg
file2-17.jpeg
file3-12.jpeg
file4-8.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 am

Everything looks good, but one thing that I'm curious about is the graphite/epoxy surface is not shiny. I'm not saying that it need to be shiny, it just usually is. Did you continue to go over it will the roller after it started to set up?
Hank