FS18 on the double!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on the double!

Post by Jacky Chan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 am

OK panic over it seems haha

I looked online for amine blush and it looks like my blotches are just a bit of that so will scrub it off with warm soapy water... :oops: :lol:

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:46 am

Best feeling so far - hoovering her out and wiping her down in the knowledge that there isnt any more real building/sanding to do! :D :D :D

THen started getting the paint onto the tops where there won't be any Kiwigrip. I've got 3 of the 4 coats on in these pics and really looking forward to getting a 4th on this afternoon so I can rip that tape off and really start gorming at her :lol: :lol:

Where the paint meets the iroko (cheap teak), I've tried to get it so that the paint slightly overlaps any fairing/epoxy, so that I can rasp a little off the edge and get a nice crisp transition. Not sure if iroko needs any staining or not? I think teak wouldn't, but maybe I should with iroko?
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg
Scrubbing the blush didn't really work so I just sanded it back and got nearly all of it off before another goat of epoxy. Just need to fair around the holes for the latches and a little at the hinges then they are ready to paint too :)
IMG_0063.jpg
Building up to a big Kiwigrip sesh and then fitting all the bits of bling, or maybe the other way around, and then she really will be on the home straight 8)

I said that if England beat the double-world-champ Kiwis in the rugby on saturday (you guys in the US might have to google what rugby is haha) to reach the world cup final, then I'd be calling her Sweet Chariot, as in the song Swiiiiiiiiiing Loooooooooow, Sweeeeeeet Chaaaaaaariooooooooott!! So it looks like that is what she shall be called :D

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:41 am

Great name and great result. The boat looks fantastic.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:26 am

Nice progress, Jeff

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:37 am

OK so its now onto the jobs that suddenly make it look like you are making progress :D Perfect working height, no respirator, I could get used to this!

So it took the best part of the day to tape everywhere, sand it, wipe it up and slap on the kiwigrip. Really nice stuff to work with as tis water soluble so you can wash it off with warm water, goes on really easily and makes some lush textures with a gentle roll of a 4" mohair roller (the tight ones about 1" diameter).

I used the kiwigrip loopy goopy roller for the tip of the bow where you might be stepping on and off and dont want to to slip, but was advised just to use a mohair roll so the texture isn't too aggressive for when you are lounging around sunbathing butt-naked :lol: :lol: :lol: Apparently the texture in these pics will offer plenty of grip - i'll let you know in the future!

Either way, I am expecting to re-coat it march/april when it warms up again, with more texture if necessary. Looks good to me though, given that this is not a racing yacht and will be pretty level most of the time. Much prettier patterns than the loopy goopy roller

I thought i had two tins of white but it turned out one was grey! I didnt have time to replace it as it was probably the last day over 10 degrees C until March so I just made some areas white and some areas grey and am over the moon with the results! :D The white is a bit thin in places but plenty to see me through the winter, no issues with the grey
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg
I think a Floridian summer might be a little different but November in the UK meant that I didnt have any issues with the paint drying too fast before the tape was pulled up :lol: I pulled it asap of course but the paint was still very wet several hours later! By the morning it had firmed up pretty nicely to touch in all but the thickest blobs. I blobbed up the edges where you might like a bit more grip when hopping in and out of the boat, will see how well or not that works when its really hardened
IMG_0354.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:17 am

Really looks good. Kiwi Grip nonskid really puts a nice finishing touch onto a boat and it is fairly easy to use.

My best results with it followed a similar path as yours. Tape everything off first, wipe it all down and then use a brush to glob it on the surface and spread it around. The brush allows you to get right up next to or over the tape and provides a nice base coat that helps to avoid thin coverage. Generally with Kiwi Grip, the more the better. Then follow up with the roller of your choice. Don’t go too fast with the roller or you can get splatters. I like the textured roller that they include. It provides just the right amount of texture that is not too sharp for standing or sitting on.

The only times I’ve had trouble with Kiwi Grip was when I didn’t clean the surface adequately or didn’t let it cure long enough before getting it wet. Otherwise the stuff is nearly foolproof and will really make whatever project you use it on look better. Once I put Kiwi Grip on a surface near where some white 3M 5200 sealant had been applied. The 5200 wasn’t fully cured and the Kiwi Grip caused the 5200 to yellow a bit.

Good stuff. Keep it up!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:40 am

Excellent work!! :D

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:40 pm