FS18 on the double!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on the double!

Post by Jacky Chan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi Hank, I didn’t do much by way of rolling offer she started setting up, no... Should be OK right..? :doh: :help: I was thinking of just wet sanding her down a little and calling it a day - presumably once she’s been dragged over a few sandy, shingly beaches the the shine would come off anyway? Could always give her a 5th coat after the sanding and use a second pass with the roller if you think it would be worth it? Thanks

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:26 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've got, and as far as making the bottom of the boat pretty . . . most of us spend more time on it than we need to. :roll:

You titled your build FS18 on the double!- don't let me slow you down!
Hank

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am

Cheers Hank, I am keen to do a final coat of graphite now that I've sanded most of the bumps down a little, just to give that little be more protection and hopefully less water resistance if I go over her with the roller a few times after its started to set up, as you say.

I'm in a rush because otherwise I'll get bored and it'll never be finished!! :lol: That and the autumn is a good time to be out fishing in the UK, for what we call bass at least - I think you guys call it WSB/white sea bass, like a striper without the stripes. I've got a holiday booked for mid september that I want to take it on and leave it down there for 48hr trips as and when 8) 8) 8)

I wish I had been able to spend a bit more time on fairing the sides, which are looking a bit workboaty now that the undercoat is on... :oops: :roll: I am consoling myself that this can be remedied in a few years time when the 2-part polyurethane starts falling to pieces and my baby children arent so baby anymore!

So I lost a week or so from my bro-in-law coming over from Thailand and going on a family holiday, but have got the second undercoat on today and really hoping to be flipping her over on sunday or monday :P
file-44.jpeg
file1-22.jpeg
file2-18.jpeg
file3-13.jpeg
file4-9.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am

Excellent progress!!! Jeff

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am

Jacky Chan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am
Cheers Hank, I am keen to do a final coat of graphite now that I've sanded most of the bumps down a little, just to give that little be more protection and hopefully less water resistance if I go over her with the roller a few times after its started to set up, as you say.
looking great... I don't think he was saying you should go over it with a roller I think he was asking/suggesting/wondering if that is what you did to make it look more flat? Based on my experience I would not advise touching it once it starts to set/gel. Build on!

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Haha I’m thanks JWhiterkariii, I thought it was some kind of magic trick you use to get nice shiny graphite :lol:

Glad not to need to bother 8) :lol:

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Feels great to make some decent progress again, in the last few days I've finished the paint job, got her flipped and glassed the inside, ready for stringers. Very happy with the result of this 2-part polyurethane paint from International, just a shame that the surface it was painted onto resembled the moon during asteroid season! :lol: Very glossy finish, actually looks wet, and I have already swung a chunky strap clasp into it pretty heavily and its barely left a scratch 8)
file-45.jpeg
Interesting looking at the inside without any guts for some reason
file1-23.jpeg
Son Charlie wanted to sit right underneath it of course mid-flip
file4-10.jpeg
I dropped the strong back down about 10 inches so i could reach inside - she was hitched up pretty high in the first half to save my back! I put her on some carpet with a recess for the skeg but really need to prop her up at the bow on some wedges so she doesnt deform when all the frames go in
file2-19.jpeg
file3-14.jpeg
Need to bite the bullet and soften the tip of the bow off a little before she skittles somebody's yacht!! :lol: :lol:
file5-5.jpeg
Today I smoothed down all the snotty lumps, cleaned her out, chopped up the tape pieces and just about remembered which was which, taped everything in and laid some cloth across the base. Absolutely pooped and now settling in for some well earned light refreshment! Luckily most days are only an hour or so! :)
file6-4.jpeg
file7-1.jpeg
file8-1.jpeg
file9-1.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Again, good progress!!!! Jeff

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am

Been a couple of weeks since my last post - I went to a farmer friend's festival last weekend and I must be getting old or something because the hangover lasted a lot longer than usual!! 8O :lol:

I think the main cause of the headache wasn't so much the excessive cider consumption as much as getting a photo from my wife at home, on the first morning, of my boatyard's roof having caved in following some heavy rain and reports of the boat being full of water..!!! :help: :!: :!: :!: If I was in any state to drive I would have gone straight home there and then! :lol: Luckily there wasnt anymore rain forecast so I just set my forgiving wife to work bailing and toweling. The hull had dried out nicely by the time I limped home a few days later to dry and sort the roof out. In the end an easy fix that I should have thought of way way way earlier - I just jacked up the ratchet strap that forms the roof's ridgeline. :roll:
file3-16.jpeg
Wasn't feeling up to anything resembling work so I started playing around with the deck pieces and imagining where a side-mounted grab-rail/micro-console might sit and how it could be supported with some CF posts, £8 each on ebay. Not sure the best way to attach them but once they are cut to fit I guess its just a case of scratching up all the bonding surfaces and epoxy puttying them in place?
file-48.jpeg
Found this earwig that didn't make it out before the inside cloth went down! Probably the first place to see rot in a few years haha
file1-25.jpeg
Eventually mustered up the energy to tape the stringers in with some more messy filleting work
file2-21.jpeg
Another low intensity job was to start thinking about the hatches, where I am going to have a crack at something similar to seaslug's fine creations (in the hope that by going for perfection I might be able to achieve something relatively functional!! :lol: ) The hatch for the transom compartment is going to be set in from the edge, a la seaslug, but the one for the bow compartment I am planning on putting the hatch up against frame B so that the guttering just runs directly out into the deck, without any need for a drainage pipe. If anyone thinks this is a dumb idea please stop me before its too late! :lol:
file4-12.jpeg
file1-26.jpeg
A good job for keeping 3yos entertained is chopping up and sanding some cleats! On the cleats, without wanting to sound downright lazy, do you really need a cleat on each side of the stringers? Planning on both sides as its what everyone else does, but I can't help wondering if its a bit overkill? Could you drop the cleats on the outsides of the stringers?
file3-17.jpeg
And finally in the last 24 hours I've bitten the bullet and just got on with making frames C and D, before fillet and taping the frames in. Tip for other novice boat builders out there - this round of filleting went much better because i did it slightly differently to the seams and stringers:
1. more filler for a stiffer mix (I'm using a pre-blend mix of wood flour and silica equivalent) - even a big lump doesnt fall off the stirring stick.
2. pipe it out of a bag with a fairly big hole, seems to get in there more forcefully and evenly.
3. make smaller fillets - mine were too big before
4. leave to set up for a little while/make a brew after the fillets go in!
file2-22.jpeg
file4-13.jpeg
file5-7.jpeg
file6-6.jpeg
I am thinking of putting a 2x1 joist underneath the centreline of the sole to provide support as I am not using buoyancy foam. The plan was to just epoxy it in with some little bits of tape/fillet. Do you guys think this would work out ok? Perhaps it needs a cleat alongside it too?

I've also added the limber holes as specified in the plans, as without buoyancy foam I should be able to drain any water that gets in from the bow compartment if necessary (driving the trailer down a slope). Obviously all deck water will drain out the bilge/transom hole as usual. The buoyancy bags should allow for water to drain past them under the sole. Does anyone who knows about limber holes know whether mine look correct?

Many thanks for any answers,
Build on!
Attachments
file-49.jpeg

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 am

Good progress and it's coming together nicely, except from the earwigs point of view :lol:

My boat doesn't have stringers and I'm in no way shape or form anything but a speculative beginner but I think the cleats are needed for support of the deck. Plus, it makes the stringers and frames into an 'I' beam that becomes incredibly strong. Last thing you'd want to discover is that the deck flexes a bit on the outside if you skip the cleats.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain