FS17 Build Planning

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 Build Planning

Post by narfi » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 am

You can build in a pretty tight space if you are stuborn enough. I built the hull and finished the bottom with graphite/epoxy mix in my wife's dining room. Then in the spring had 3 other guys help me carry it out the garden doors, flip it and put it in my shelterlogic tent.

Your drain holes should be plug able. Even if you dont normally need to plug them it's better to have the option. Perhaps you will find that heavily loaded or with a couple people standing toward the rear they let in some water, it would be better to have the option to plug it than live with wet feet. Even heavily loaded they will drain when on step.(is that the right term?) So you only need to worry when loading and moving around at rest on how the balance plays out.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:55 am

Marine VHF radio.... Floating waterproof handheld is the best for small boats.

https://www.boatingmag.com/marine-vhf-radio-range/
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 am

Since you are so green to all of this I would caution you to take a realistic look at what you are about to undertake. Like I said I'm on my 4th build and nearing the year and a half mark on my build, but thought it would only take about 6 months.

I'm not trying to talk you out of building. However I would take the advise of others and build a small boat first. Get your techniques down, and learn how to glass well, then move on to a larger more complicated build. Maybe something like an Indian River Skiff, or Jon Boat 14, with a tiller driven motor would be a good start and get you on the water.

As far as learning about the mechanics and electrical systems go, I don't think any amount of written word can take the place of visuals. Go to a boat dealership or bass pro shops if you have one, or even a boat show, and look over how different boats are rigged. Take lots of pictures because some things will be obvious once you see them, and some you will need to look over many times.

It's a fun hobby, but often when guys jump in to full throttle they tend to get discouraged and end up abandoning projects half built.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:47 am

silentneko wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 am
Since you are so green to all of this I would caution you to take a realistic look at what you are about to undertake. Like I said I'm on my 4th build and nearing the year and a half mark on my build, but thought it would only take about 6 months.

I'm not trying to talk you out of building. However I would take the advise of others and build a small boat first. Get your techniques down, and learn how to glass well, then move on to a larger more complicated build. Maybe something like an Indian River Skiff, or Jon Boat 14, with a tiller driven motor would be a good start and get you on the water.

As far as learning about the mechanics and electrical systems go, I don't think any amount of written word can take the place of visuals. Go to a boat dealership or bass pro shops if you have one, or even a boat show, and look over how different boats are rigged. Take lots of pictures because some things will be obvious once you see them, and some you will need to look over many times.

It's a fun hobby, but often when guys jump in to full throttle they tend to get discouraged and end up abandoning projects half built.
That's very good advice! I started my GF16 last year (and it's a simple boat) and am still working on it. Delays happen, work, life, weather, etc.
My biggest slow down was due to weather. I don't have heat in my garage and this winter was not conductive to any epoxy work at all. I think over 5 months (Nov-March) I only had a handful of days that were warm enough for epoxy work, even if I had had fast hardener.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 am

I am not sure what usability I would get out of something smaller or a canoe. My plan is to practice epoxy and glassing on scraps to get a hang of it. Additionally, I plan on recruiting a friend who has some experience working with composites. I totally understand the tome commitment involved so I am not to worried. The area I plan on working is in my garage which is double deep and the temperatures inside doesn’t go under 60 degrees even during winter.

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:14 am

Ak99999 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 am

From a control standpoint, what am I looking for? I understand there is a throttle and a steering wheel, but that is it. What else is there to it from a technical/mechanical standpoint? Is this just a bunch of cables or is it hydraulic? Can anyone give some recommendations on this section?

What is needed to make the steering, control, and electronics all work?

To clarify the drainage standpoint, do the drains at the transom get plugged? is it far enough above the waterline that i don't have to worry about it?

Thanks again!
For most small and midsized outboards there are 2 mechanical cables coming out of the throttle. One for actual throttle control, the other for shifting. They are thin but stiff rods inside a plastic sheath. They can't take very sharp turns and if you force it the throttle will be too stiff.

The steering for this size boat is most often mechanical too. The same idea just thicker. Hydraulic steering is the nicer but more expensive option. and then you have 2 hoses instead.

Then there is one large wiring harness from the outboard to the console. This will attach to the throttle, start/stop/kill switch, rpm gauge(with warning lights/buzzer) as well as other gauges or controls you choose to add.

There are also 2 large charging/starting cables between the outboard and battery. This is easy if the battery is at the stern, but if you move the battery forward for weight distribution now you need a very large electrical cable going forward. I think with one battery that isn't worth it, but with 2 it is, because you are moving over 100 pounds from the transom to the console. There is more complicated wiring to do this well too.

Bigger modern outboards are becoming fully electronic but this won't apply to an FS17. Older outboards will have the same controls but probably a smaller wiring harness.

For the other electronics you want to make sure everything is fused and use waterproof connectors on everything. For all of marine electronics if you don't do it well they won't last long, it's a harsh environment. Getting professional help for this part is always an option if you don't want to dig too deep on it.

Last thing, on the VHF I think having a handheld is backup is a good idea but I really think it's worth having a permanent one mounted in the boat. The #1 factor in VHF range is antenna size so having a 2-6' antenna will give you so much more range than the best handheld. Nice to have one with GPS built in so you can just hit the distress button in case of trouble.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:28 am

Welcome to the forum!
The FS17 is a great boat, you are going to love it.
You are getting great advice but I do have one suggestion.
If you do plan on using the boat in some pretty good chop, consider putting on spray rails.
The one at the TX meet in 2011 was a pretty wet ride. Spray rails would fix the issue...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Ak99999 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 am
I am not sure what usability I would get out of something smaller or a canoe. My plan is to practice epoxy and glassing on scraps to get a hang of it. Additionally, I plan on recruiting a friend who has some experience working with composites. I totally understand the tome commitment involved so I am not to worried. The area I plan on working is in my garage which is double deep and the temperatures inside doesn’t go under 60 degrees even during winter.
Welcome to the forum. The FS17 is a very nice boat. I agree with you to jump in with both feet and get to building on the boat you want. You are already doing what a lot of us have done when we first started, asking a lot of questions about things that you will need to worry about many epoxy mixtures later! I think we all expect it and it gets us excited along with you on your first build. Don't stop asking questions and have a clear understand and then a plan on your next few steps.

You will want to start a thread about how your build is going down in the "Builder's Progress and non technical messages" section of the forum. You can post your progress there, a little bragging on how you figured something out and post lots of pictures on both threads. The section you posted in now is one of the areas the designer of your boat visits regularly so your questions will sometimes be answered by him. When the builders here tell you that it's a "JM question", it means wait for the designer to answer your question.

Good luck and happy building,
OQ

One more thing, if you are married, have kids, the more involved they are in your build the happier the whole family will be with the build.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm

If you don’t want to make a smaller first project then consider building the console or a cooler/seat or leaning post box as your practice project.

Good luck with your project. The hull will go together quickly and you will feel good. Finishing the interior and putting in all of the systems will take awhile.

Lots of good people here on the forum to learn from and get support.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Once you have started on your project, the best thing you can do is DO. I don't want to know how much time I have wasted thinking when I could have been doing.

There are a few stages where you need to do things linearly, but for the most part if you hit a wall in one area, you can still work on another area while thinking about the wall, and then post questions about your wall to get advice from people here. If you do this, then you wont be loosing any valuable time because you will still be working on something that needs to done, just not the area you are stuck on.... Once you have gotten some advice, or slept on it, or thought about it some more while doing other things, then you will probably have a good plan of attack and can resume in the problem area once again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis