Who has the best Photos and text on making flush hatches

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Who has the best Photos and text on making flush hatches

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Who has the best Photos and text on making flush hatches.

I want to make a large front edge opening hatch on the aft deck of my LM18.

Needs to be lockable (no key)

270 lbs. person needs to be able to jump up and down on it (I get excited when I hook a jet ski)

flush on deck

I'm going to try to build one for the aft deck, if it turns out good, I'll make one for the casting deck (fore deck).

We need one place to put this information, no comments, just build information.. and lots of photos.

><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

cvincent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Who has the best Photos and text on making flush hatches

Post by cvincent » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Capt UB,

I have seen flush hatches made by seaslug with a router. Seaslug may be willing to share the process he used for fabricating gutters and hatches.

The other option is to make a mold, spray with duratek, polish, wax, etc.. and pop your hatches off of the mold. I took the easy way out and purchased mine and glassed them in. It was a lot of extra work and time consuming to glass them in. I spent less time putting my hull together than I did playing around with the hatches. I agree it would be great if someone would build a set a molds and post the detailed process on the website.
Completed D15, Building PH18

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Here is Seaslug's article on it under the "Builders' Tips"

app.php/page/seaslugs-hatch-making-meth ... 30fc42d724

But no pictures.

I was going to post a few pictures of my hatches and label them " What NOT to do in hatch making" They are really great pictures of my mistakes!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks OQ for posting the link, since I can't recall even writing it so long ago. The memory gets worse every day it seems. Sorry there are no pics with the post, but if you look at the gallery under "mike's FS18 build" you'll see lots of pictures that will make the process easier to understand. They are really quite easy to make, although a little time consuming. It helps of course if you're comfortable working with a router and table saw. I can say after more than 3 years of hard use they show no signs of any problems, not so much as a hairline crack in the paint, and the inside of the gutters are not even glassed, just a few coats of epoxy, than primer and paint. The hatch lids are 1 layer of 6oz. woven over 2 layers of 3/8" Okoume. If anyone has any specific questions I'll try to answer as best I can. Mike

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 pm

seaslug wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:07 pm
Thanks OQ for posting the link, since I can't recall even writing it so long ago. The memory gets worse every day it seems. Sorry there are no pics with the post, but if you look at the gallery under "mike's FS18 build" you'll see lots of pictures that will make the process easier to understand. They are really quite easy to make, although a little time consuming. It helps of course if you're comfortable working with a router and table saw. I can say after more than 3 years of hard use they show no signs of any problems, not so much as a hairline crack in the paint, and the inside of the gutters are not even glassed, just a few coats of epoxy, than primer and paint. The hatch lids are 1 layer of 6oz. woven over 2 layers of 3/8" Okoume. If anyone has any specific questions I'll try to answer as best I can. Mike

Thanks Mike. I have been read all I can find....

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 pm

cvincent wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:16 pm
Capt UB,

I have seen flush hatches made by seaslug with a router. Seaslug may be willing to share the process he used for fabricating gutters and hatches.

The other option is to make a mold, spray with duratek, polish, wax, etc.. and pop your hatches off of the mold. I took the easy way out and purchased mine and glassed them in. It was a lot of extra work and time consuming to glass them in. I spent less time putting my hull together than I did playing around with the hatches. I agree it would be great if someone would build a set a molds and post the detailed process on the website.

Thanks, he has posted. Doing the reading part now.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:10 pm
Here is Seaslug's article on it under the "Builders' Tips"

app.php/page/seaslugs-hatch-making-meth ... 30fc42d724

But no pictures.

I was going to post a few pictures of my hatches and label them " What NOT to do in hatch making" They are really great pictures of my mistakes!

OQ, your front deck hatch/es are and have turned out nice.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks Capt UB but they are old school photo shopped (slightly out of focus) :D

I am still working on the edges from time to time, they are getting better on an even clearance. I am going to order the stiff EVA foam for a gasket on the lid edges that should get them to come up even with the deck but the camber is a very big pain.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 pm

I have built a profiled; not moulded gutter system.

It is unproven.

I basically cut up 26-28 pound foam core offcuts.

All 3/4".

The bottom is a 3" piece.

The seal landing is a 3/4x3/4" piece iirc.

The vertical riser is tbd to make the difference.

I am using a seal from Menards. For the vertical riser; you take the final deck thickness, add the compressed seal and the cover and the gutter depth. If you want a deeper gutter; you make the landing deeper.

Phones about to die. I will look for a pic later if you like.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 am

Capt UB, I used a method similar to what Barraman posted on his build thread, although that video link does not exist anymore. I documented my flush hatch process on pages 23-24 and 26 of my build thread (starts here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46527&start=220). There are picture of my finished hatches on page 30. The hatches have held up perfectly over the last few years since I launched. No flex at all when they're walked on. Feel free to ask question about the process I used if you'd like to do something similar.

Will