OB15 "Shad Dart" First Boat Build-NC

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB15 "Shad Dart" First Boat Build-NC

Post by Capfish1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Yep, not cutting panels yet, they are not here! Hopefully pick up at the terminal tomorrow.

Just "seeing" more on the full size drawings so generating questions....

Hopefully frames cut and mounted, panels glued and cut and on strongback by Monday evening. 3 day weekend!!

Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capfish1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 am

Ok, 3 day weekend, was hoping to be cutting panels by Monday at least... Hope I get these plan updates soon!!

Cutting strongback panels tonight, placing them tomorrow then need transom and panel dimensions to keep moving forward...

I think once I have clarity on the bottom/side panels I will be good to go...

Happy Friday!!

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:09 am

looking at my OB15 plans, i think what you're seeing is the line that is drawn on the nesting that shows where the side panel meets the bottom. this line is unnecessary.

lay out your bottom panels per the dimensions on 107/6. This line you're referring to is shown on that sheet as well. this is not a cut line and is not dimensioned.

Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capfish1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:28 am

Great!!

Hope to have at least a stitched hull by Monday evening!!

Thanks!!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

Marshall Moser wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:09 am
looking at my OB15 plans, i think what you're seeing is the line that is drawn on the nesting that shows where the side panel meets the bottom. this line is unnecessary.

lay out your bottom panels per the dimensions on 107/6. This line you're referring to is shown on that sheet as well. this is not a cut line and is not dimensioned.
Thank you, that is correct.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:53 am

B107/2 exist in the version of the plans that you received. Sorry but I am working on a new drafting of the plans and the new B107/2 layout is different. I confused the two sets.

Let's talk about the set of plans you received.
First check that we are discussing the same drawing sheet. The one you have should be dated 1994. It is not that old and I revised it many times since 1994 and that is why I am drafting a new version, a clean one.
In your set of plans, on B107/2 and on D107/6, there is a line on the bottom panel, a little offset from one of the sides. The plans do not show any dimensions for that line.
Disregard that line. It is a leftover from another drawing, you don't need it.

Last week, I drafted a new version of the panels drawing. Same panel, same size but I show the dimensions in a different way, more user friendly. That drawing number is now B107/8.
If you want it, email Reid.
When I update a drawing, I prefer not to distribute partial drawings before the whole job is complete but here, there are no changes in dimensions.
The main difference is that, in the new drawing, the standard version will be the center console version and I will show it with a partially closed motorwell.
The standard version will look very much like the OB15 built by Rtorres in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63695&start=200

That one is built from the plans you have but as the majority of builders, he goes for the center console version with a small aft deck on the sides of the motorwell.
Keep going with what you have, it is all correct but disregard that line on the bottom panel drawing.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capfish1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Yep, center console is the direction we want to go too!

Off to cut frames!!

Thank you for the updates, sorry my questions sent you down the plan update road!!

I do appreciate it!!!

Chester

Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capfish1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 am

What type of plastic sheet do you use to wrap frames? Any type? Poly vinyl or is there a specific type or brand?

We have Lowe's and Ace hardware here. I saw a type listed for Home Depot but I can't find it online...

Thanks!

Chester

Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capfish1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:23 pm

And another question:

So do I build a #5 mold along with the transom? A #5 isn't named that on these old plans but appears needed to hold the stern in proper position for transom... Unless you are fastening transom to strongback... Also, since these are the old plans, I don't see motor well pieces on any drawings... Unless that is simply the stern edge of the sides that Carris the angle...

Sorry, not a draftsman and first time builder here....

If the answer is coming in the new plans I'll try to be patient...

I realize this is similar question To what I asked previously...

Rtorres2411
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rtorres2411 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Hello Capfish1

I used wax paper to cover the molds. I just covered the edges of the molds. It worked great and you will find that the left over wax paper will come in handy later on the build.
There is no frame #5 and no dimensions for the motor well sides, but the plans do have the transom angle. Use that angle to build vertical members in your strongback to install the transom.
You can see pictures and some descriptions on my thread “OB 15” page 2.
I wish I could post a link here but I don’t know how to do that :D .
Hope this information helps you.

Ruben