TW28 trailerability?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rum Runner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

TW28 trailerability?

Post by Rum Runner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

Hello All,

First off I would like to congratulate all the builders out there. I have been following through the forum posts, particularly about the TW28, and I see all the hard work and dedication that you builders have put into your vessels. You certainly must be very proud. We are currently sailing our Tartan 37 in the Bahamas, and returning to Canada in a couple of months. In the future (next year) we hope to start a build of our own. I have been searching for trawler plans which can be trailered. Something that we can move to inland lakes and also use for coastal cruising. I am aware of the 8'6" limit and requirement for permits, and I know we will need the appropriate vehicle for towing. We used to own a Carver Santego with 10' beam, but did not tow it much. I have purchased the plans for the TW28 and would be interested in increasing the LOA by 10% as approved by the designer. My question, to the builders whom have completed the TW28, Are any of you trailering your boats? If so, I am curious to the weight of your boat and any difficulties you may have with launching, especially considering the TW28 is an inboard drive.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: TW28 trailerability?

Post by Netpackrat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 am

Can't help with your questions much, but if you are who I think you are, I just wanted to say that I liked your videos.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 am

It's not a trailerable boat but it can be moved quite easily by a professional boat mover, for example for the initial launching or even for winterizing.
In most cases, launching will be done with a travel lift. Towing is often done on a wishbone trailer. Boat transportation companies are familiar with that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Rum Runner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rum Runner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 am
It's not a trailerable boat but it can be moved quite easily by a professional boat mover, for example for the initial launching or even for winterizing.
In most cases, launching will be done with a travel lift. Towing is often done on a wishbone trailer. Boat transportation companies are familiar with that.
Can you please explain why it is not trailerable? I guess I compare it to a Ranger tug 29, which are trailered regularly.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm

OK then, let's say that it is just as trailerable as the Ranger 29.
When I see the world trailerable, I am thinking of an outboard powered center console or a small sailboat and that is why I wrote that she is not a trailerable boat.
I would not like to tow either the Ranger or the TW28 very often and I have some towing experience: since 10 years, I travel all over the US towing a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel.
If you want to tow the TW28, she has some advantages over the Ranger.

Built the right way, a TW28 will be lighter than a Ranger 29 by 1 or 2,000 lbs therefore easier to tow. The TW28 will sit little lower on the trailer. The TW28 height is 12' 2" while the Ranger is 13-3. This is very (VERY) important for bridges and cables. I think the legal cable height in the US is 15', the Ranger will be very close and I have been in the situation where I had turn around with a 20,000 lbs rig on a narrow road: not fun.
Last, the main advantage is the box keel. The TW28 has a wide keel and is very stable even dry. The keel gives very good support on the trailer: no stress on the bottom panel.

You"ll need a good towing vehicle, almost certainly with a diesel. I like my Dodger Ram 2500 with a Cummins, towing package, exhaust brake etc.
I would still launch and retrieve in a marina with a travel lift. I see that Ranger shows a Youtube video of launching a 29 on a ramp but I would not do it. However, from a towing point of view, anything you can do with a Ranger 29 can be done with the TW28.

Rum Runner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rum Runner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Thank you for your input. We tow our 9000 lbs holiday trailer regularly. With the right tow vehicle and custom trailer, I do not think it will be an issue, but I think I would be more concerned with the launch and retrieval, obviously dependent on condition of ramps. Many of the places we surely would like to discover would not have a travel lift available. All things we need to consider before committing to this build.

icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Woow 11 years ago, This was the day I got her out of the workshop. Had to cut steel roller doors to clear by 1 inch😬
Used a truck with crane for the 40 km journey to water
The antenna searchlight tower I installed on sea as I wouldnt be able to clear

Considering the keel depth to DWL, launching this off trailer would be really challenging.
I agree with JM to launch with a travel left

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=42303
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am

Does that boat qualify as Category B?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 pm

There are many different category rules but I assume you are thinking of the French categories.
Most the category requirements are about safety: height and strength of stanchions, portholes size, presence of a liferaft, navigation equipment and pumps.
For sailboats, there are some stability and righting conditions. I don't know if those rules exist for power boats.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:00 pm

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495