Bildge drainage design

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Bildge drainage design

Post by rbecker08 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 pm

So I have a history of over thinking things.....this maybe one of those things. I am working through water flow in my bildge, just in case, but I want everything to eventually get to the pump in the back. I am thinking of a few things I haven't seen in the other builds so let me know your thoughts. First cutting three "channels" through each frame, one in the middle then one on the outside of each stringer (First picture is a frame where it slides on the stringer, the 1/4 circle is the proposed cut out). Next a half circle cut in the rear area of each stringer, kinda where the pencil is. Next in each compartment gluing in two plywood spacers for the foam to rest on. After we put the foam in I'll cut it flush on the bottom of the foam. The idea is to create space for water to flow and then give it a path down each stringer and the middle to reach the bildge pump/drain. Is this a good plan and is it enough to coat the insides of these cuts through the frame/stringer with epoxy or should I put some PVC cutouts in there. Thanks Rich
20200222_221822.jpg
20200222_221844.jpg

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bildge drainage design

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:36 am

Those cuts a bit much. A triangle can work with am oscillating tool, but pvc will help insure or reduce chance of ingress.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:33 am

I assume that these are limbers, and this area will not be foam filled? Although coating with epoxy should work I'd do it several times with the last coat thickened to form a built up layer.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:08 am

Yep, I think you're overthinking it. It's a v hull, so water naturally gravitates to the keel. So along the keel have a half circle cut out with the edge protected. No need for cut outs along the inside of the stringers. If the outside of the stringers are exposed some how it won't be by much. Maybe some 1/2- 3/4" weep holes will be enough imo.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm

On my in progress FS17 I did exactly what you describe. Used a hole saw to make 3 holes in each frame. Just outside each stringer and down the middle. I have a drain plug in each at the aftmost frame E. This results in 3 separate compartments that can each be drained, but water can't move between them if one gets a hole. In progress so I can't tell you how well it works but it seems like the best solution if you don't want to foam, which I don't.

There are also holes in the stringers and motorwell frames in the stern compartment so water can get to the pumps in the middle, and a hole in the middle of frame A for water in the bow, that is also plugged. For my holes I used epoxy and then bilge paint to seal them as opposed to pvc.

These posts and the ones in between show a bit what I did:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61781&start=180#p436072
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61781&start=230#p445487

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:25 pm

joe2700 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm
On my in progress FS17 I did exactly what you describe. Used a hole saw to make 3 holes in each frame. Just outside each stringer and down the middle. I have a drain plug in each at the aftmost frame E. This results in 3 separate compartments that can each be drained, but water can't move between them if one gets a hole. In progress so I can't tell you how well it works but it seems like the best solution if you don't want to foam, which I don't.

There are also holes in the stringers and motorwell frames in the stern compartment so water can get to the pumps in the middle, and a hole in the middle of frame A for water in the bow, that is also plugged. For my holes I used epoxy and then bilge paint to seal them as opposed to pvc.

These posts and the ones in between show a bit what I did:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61781&start=180#p436072
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61781&start=230#p445487
Your build looks fantastic thanks....I want the same just with foam. Not sure if it's possible but want to prop the foam off the bottom of the compartment to give any water space to flow to the back and then out.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Reid has talked me off the ledge.....foam and forget is the best way forward. Thanks for all the input it is appreciated.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:58 am

"Foam and forget". That's what I was thinking. I have two boats that way and don't spend any time with the "what ifs".

Dougster

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:40 am

One small limber hole down the middle with a way to check it ain't bad. Course; you gotta make a channel then.

Garboard drain.

Foam and forget; check the garboard now and then.

I would use that method. My livewell hoses came unclamped and the well unplugged leaks into the bilge.

How did I learn about it?

One day my boat started filling with water. No idea how. Figured I holed it. Went home, filled the boat until the trailer was moaning. Nothing. Went and shut the water off and a trickle of water started coming out the livewell drain; mystery solved. Still haven't fixed it. Keep the well plugged most of the time or drain it into...I can touch the loose clamp, but no way can I screw it.

The bilge.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:16 pm

I am considering putting weep holes on the chambers outside my stringers before gluing the sole down. The bottom edge of the stringer that is the side of the sole bilge will get a pair of these little guys that will vent the chambers of expanding and contracting air and not let it get trapped.

The one at the lowest point will vent outward and not let water in. The other one will be just below the sole and vent inward so air can get in. The chambers can breathe but the check valves will keep water that gets in the bilge out of the chambers like regular weep/limber holes do. Then I can put those little water color disks of paint in each chamber so if I get a leak I will know because the bilge will have colored water in it.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... 820&catid=
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne