Problem with Quick Fair

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Problem with Quick Fair

Post by Dr. Pete » Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 pm

I’m about to run out and I still have some more faring to do. I think they shorted this batch by about 2 scoops. Happy Memorial Day! Stay safe and give a thought or prayer to remember those who made this country such a blessed place to live. I’ll deal with the QF on my own!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Problem with Quick Fair

Post by cape man » Sat May 23, 2020 4:48 pm

I have some left over if you want it send me a PM. Cracker Larry gave it to me when he stopped building.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete » Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 pm

So gracious and thanks. I got 3 more scoops and probably don’t need anymore. Just stirring the pot to see who’s out there. It’d would be way beyond my level of worthy to have anything of CL on this canoe!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am

Pretty sure I'm empty but I'll check in my shop later. Who knows, if I find any it won't be much and I'll let you know. I do have some old microballoon mix you can add to marinepoxy for good 'nuff fairing. I've had it for years. No sense buying a whole quart for just little finish ups.

Dougster

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun May 24, 2020 12:09 pm

I would really be happy to send it. Not starting the LM18 any time soon and I have most of a kit left. Cracker Larry was a great builder but I loved him because he was just a Georgia Cracker without any pretenses. He'd like it if you used it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete » Mon May 25, 2020 11:09 am

I am honored by the offers but truly was just blowing hot air. Thanks you Dougster and capeman. I have a bit of QF some filler mix and worst case lots of wood flour. I’ve used more wood flour than anything else on the boat. All I have left to do fairing wise is the tape seams on the console when I get it set. Small enough job that wood flour will suffice as last fallback. Thanks guys!

GuyP
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by GuyP » Mon May 25, 2020 5:54 pm

I’d hate to try taping around the exterior of the console with wood flour fairing. Maybe tape it down on the inside and 3M 5200 caulk around the outside or just do a wood flour fillet.

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete » Mon May 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Great advice Guy. What you don’t know about me is how fricking cheap I am. After observing some of my Tutors at Farley Boat Works in Port A, I am better at the art of fairing. Cleaner and neater in the front end can markedly temper the management of the aftermath. Apply fairing to tape joints before the second tape goes down. Makes the divots smaller going forward. I also have a nuclear powered belt sander and can make molehills out of mountains. Some folks are reluctant to unleash the beast. One of my most effective tools. No claim on any sense but 90 percent of this boat is faired with wood flour mix. I blast through the highs with 80 grit on the belt and get ready for the next coat of fairing. Haven’t needed more than 3 and done. Also heeded advice from browndog. When you recognize micromanaging (sanding) is making matters worse you have reached the “oh hell no!” stage and you’re done. Just some musings.

GuyP
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by GuyP » Mon May 25, 2020 11:23 pm

This is my first time on the fairing merry go round. If you can make it smooth with wood flour you are the Fairing Master. I bow down to thee 🙏

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 am

I've seen him. Give him a thermos of coffee and a belt sander, then stand clear.

Dougster