I need Propeller and or engine help

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: I need Propeller and or engine help

Post by Fuzz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Be sure to let us know what happens with the old prop. Be very interesting to know how it changes things.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 pm

narfi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 pm

:doh: :doh:
Strange language you guys use in Alaska. :lol:
Is that like AIR grub hub?
I live 150 miles from the closest road system.
I do not live on an island.
The only way to get where I am is by flying in a small airplane.
So if a stranger comes up in his car and asks for directions, you could actually say: "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here?"

:D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:42 am

OneWayTraffic wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 pm
narfi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 pm

:doh: :doh:
Strange language you guys use in Alaska. :lol:
Is that like AIR grub hub?
I live 150 miles from the closest road system.
I do not live on an island.
So if a stranger comes up in his car and asks for directions, you could actually say: "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here?"

:D
Wellllll........
If I were me, I would start from here, and i would end up right where I wanted to be..... here.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:50 am

narfi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:02 pm

an oldtimer here had an old nasty 14x13 (also black max) he had replaced, Ill grind the jagged bits off of it and give it a test this afternoon as well. (sun is out and family wants to go find a beach)
Fuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm
Be sure to let us know what happens with the old prop. Be very interesting to know how it changes things.
So it was pretty bad, I almost didn't try it. But I ground down the worst of the saw teeth and bolted it on and we headed out.

Before,
20200803_214647.jpg

After,
20200803_214709.jpg
It got up to 5900-5950rpm and just under 30mph at wot.

The lake and wife prefered 20-22mph and that's what we stuck to for the afternoon. If it was smoother we might have pushed a little more, but we were in no rush, so why waste the fuel or our spines?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 am

I don't know anything about boat props but seems that pitch of prop is very close to what you are looking for? Maybe down an inch on the pitch cause not enough blade area left to call it a 14X13?

So how would a stranger get there in a car and be lost at the same time?
NOTE STATEMENT:
OneWayTraffic wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 pm
So you guys are like the old show "Northern Lights" then. Seems they had everything flown in or out.

Do you guys have access to open seas or just lakes? Satellite for internet and cable TV and land line phone service?

Living in the 4th largest city in the US, I can walk to get to most anything other than the great outdoors. And you guys are the opposite, Outdoors is just outside but fly to or have anything brought in that you can't just hunt or fish or grow? I have to go to a shooting range or drive more than 50 miles in any direction just to shoot a gun , much less shoot at something that moves. Unless they are in your house uninvited, then it's iffy if it's ok to discharge a firearm. Fishing is a little easier, if you don't mind the polluted waters.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:04 am

That's one butt fuggly prop right there, but I think it answered the question. Bet the one you're getting tomorrow is just right! 30 mph is getting it with the three of you.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:09 am

By the way... running a lopsided prop like that ain't good for the motor due to the vibrations. :help: I appreciate and agree with the test, but if you ever ding your prop like that, it's best to just limp home.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:28 am

That prop must have met barraman’s croc.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:37 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 am
Do you guys have access to open seas or just lakes? Satellite for internet and cable TV and land line phone service?
Just lakes, but in theory I think I could get to the ocean if I went down enough rivers.

Yes, Satellite TV and Internet. I have signed up for beta of Musks low earth satellite internet, not sure if I will be chosen or not.
The land lines here are just land lines in our village and go to a Phone shed (connex) with a large satellite dish.

A few years ago the crookedest phone/internet provider in existence was given a huge government grant to run fiber optics to rural alaska. So we have fiber optics run into our village at a huge cost to the tax payers that is supposed to provide cell, data, and internet. The Cell and texting works okish most of the time, but data is non existent, and if you pay their outrages fees for an internet plan it is very shoddy and intermittent and limited to very low limits for high prices.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Narfi that 13.75 diameter is worth 2 inches of pitch so you will be running basically a 12.75 x 15 pitch prop. One thing to check is that your 60 fits the 13.75 diameter. From what I can it will. But check for clearance once you get it on.

Glad you found one.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978