Unique question for Jacques and the builders

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Unique question for Jacques and the builders

Post by SabineDream1021 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 pm

I apologize if this has been asked before in any way or is beyond the scope of what is done here, but I want to go ahead and ask. I’ve ordered the plans for many of the boats here and finally decided to start building the Phantom 18. I live in the Sabine Lake area and I fish the flats and the bay itself. An interesting thing happened to me before I was able to start the build. I inherited 2003 Skeeter SX170. The only problem is it has been sitting up since 2004. I got the motor running and somehow its perfect and good to go now. The hull itself is okay, but the interior is in bad shape with lots of rotten wood. My question is would it be possible to remove the cap from the hull and strip it all the way down to rebuild it into a Phantom-like flats boat from just the bare hull. And if it is possible, what would the process look like. I’m willing to pay for custom plans if possible. I want to build a flats boat while also making use of this hull. Or would I be better off using the parts and such from the hull that I can and build the Phantom 18 from scratch? Thank you for any help and/or advice.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unique question for Jacques and the builders

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Yes and no.
Yes if the bottom skin of that boat is stiff enough, no if it is your regular production lamination schedule.

Let's do a test: drill a tiny hole (diameter 1/8) somewhere in the middle of a bottom panel. Not where the stringers tabbing is, instead, as far as possible from any tabbing. Measure the laminate thickness: that can be done with a cheap caliper using the little bar that stick out from the caliper.
Disregard the gelcoat thickness, that does not count. If the laminate thickness is >3/8, it's OK.

A better idea is to build the PH18 and use motor, hardware etc. from the old boat for the PH18.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:11 pm

So where is the rotten wood? I found this on the web, and I can't see where they use wood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngNPL1HafLg

Maybe a 2003 model was different?

Pictures?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:48 pm

Thank yall very much! I will definitely do that test today, Jacques. The wood was used in the framing of the decks separating each hatch compartment. Laminated in there really well actually. The boat just has just been left outside since 2004. I havent taken up the sole yet but I plan to. About a 4’-5’ section is split right in the center where it didnt seem to be glassed very well. But the sole is definitely glassed wood as well. The hull itself is all fiberglass. I will be performing that test a little later today. Thanks, again guys!

bklake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bklake » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 pm

I've know people that can completely strip a boat hull down to a shell and rebuild it. There are a lot of people that start these projects but very few that can see it through to completion. I don't know the Skeeter boat but I searched google for Skeeter projects. It might be an all composite framed boat with wood decks. That would be good for rebuilding. If it has wood stringers and a transom, you are in for a lot of work.

You have a free hull to experiment with. The rigging that can be used for a new hull if the Skeeter is a basket case. Strip off the rotten wood, stand back and take a long look at it to decide if you want to move forward.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:05 pm

Gut it and see what it looks like after the rot is gone.

Do not remove stringers or transom without asking more advice. Just the sole and stuff.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:28 pm

Thank you all very much for your answers. I have it almost all the way down to the sole. I’m going to get it all the way down to hull and stringers, take some photos, and post them in this thread and see what yall think. Jacques... the hull thickness is right at 3/8”. It seems really stiff and sturdy. Thank you all again. The help is greatly appreciated.

bklake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bklake » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm

I found a 2007 Skeeter advertisement brochure. They claimed the sole, transom and stringers were composite. So don't dig into the sole just yet. Drill some pilot holes to see what is really there.

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 pm

10-4 bblake... I’ll drill pilot holes first to see exactly what it is. However, there is a soft spot in the middle and the sole itsef is definitely plywood of some sort. The actual hull itself seems to be all fiberglass constructed in a mold. And its in great shape on the inside and structurally. Its just going to need some spot repairs in some spots and a re-finish for sure.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:53 am

Plywood covered with epoxy will be a lot better than plywood covered with polyester. Keep in mind that as far as flats boats go, a hull material of plywood glassed both sides with biaxial glass will weigh less and be as stiff. Less total weight, and less draft. If you rebuild the hull you will have a semi custom boat, but it will be unlikely to have the same performance as one built yourself from scratch.