Unique question for Jacques and the builders

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Unique question for Jacques and the builders

Post by SabineDream1021 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:46 am

Okay guys I’ve decided not to attempt a rebuild on the Skeeter hull. It just doesn’t meet my needs as far as what the boat will be used for. I do, however, want to make use of the Yamaha V4 115 with almost no hours on it. I’m still trying to decide which boat I want to build and I have a question. In the photos of the XF20 I see a 115 outboard on one of the builds. What would have to change, if even possible, in the plans for the XF20 to accomodate the 115 outboard I already have? Thank yall in advance.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:13 am

115 is excessive HP for that boat but I have seen worse. The weight of the engine trims the stern down and defeats the purpose of having a shallow draft boat.
If you still want to do it, let me first know which plans you have. The XF20 was redesigned this year.
If all your drawing names start with a B, you have the new version.
The notes mention several options. There are specs for a heavy duty version also named console version, build that one.

About excessive HP: many years ago, I designed this boat for 25 HP tiller steering and 25 mph. Over the years, builders began to put larger engines on it and I gave specs for a reinforced boat. A loaded boat, well built, handled by an experienced skipper can have a 75. Even that 75 can be dangerous at WOT, that is why I wrote 'experienced" skipper.
This a completely flat very wide boat that will not make sharp turns, it will skid in turns. If you expect it, it will be fine but I don't want to be responsible for accidents.
Some proposed strakes for tracking but those will interfere with the tunnel.
Another point is the slamming: at excessive speeds, the flat bottom will slam hard. The new heavy duty version can take it: more bottom laminations and tighter framing, smaller panel span. I expect the skipper kidneys to give up before the bottom cracks.

Those limitations are the price to pay for the extreme shallow hull performance.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 am

Thank you, Jacques. Yes I completely understand. I only bought the plans about a month or two ago. I do want to set it up with a large center console, helm seat/leaning post, large baitwell, extra large fore and aft casting decks, etc... So there will be substantial added weight from those things if that helps. And as far as the speed issue. I definitely understand the limitations of a flat-bottomed boat and have no desire to run ridiculous speeds. Would it make more sense to build the XF22 scaled down to 20’?

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 am

Jacques... my plan drawings do all start with a “B” except for the poling platform drawing. However, I do not see anythjng in the plans about a console or heavy duty version. Only the optional sole. What I’d actually like to do is build the Texas Scooter console/seat/leaning post setup. Where its all integrated and in one structure.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:44 pm

SabineDream1021 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 am
Jacques... my plan drawings do all start with a “B” except for the poling platform drawing. However, I do not see anythjng in the plans about a console or heavy duty version. Only the optional sole. What I’d actually like to do is build the Texas Scooter console/seat/leaning post setup. Where its all integrated and in one structure.
SabineDream1021,

The version you received is the latest version. This is the "heavy duty" version that has a sole. The older version did not have a sole and was a lighter version. We have found that the vast majority of customers build the XF20 with a sole and thus build the "heavy duty" version.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Ok great. Thank you. So I’m not missing a “console version”?

Rollbar1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rollbar1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:28 pm

You mentioned a 75 being a little on the hot side.
Would a 60hp be ok and willing to haul a load etc?
I don't want a dog, but don't need a speed boat.
Thanks,

P.S. I bought the Texas Scooter plans about 4yrs ago but got side tracked.
Did those plans change a lot or do I need a updated set?
This set has the bow lip/platform on the top deck.
Ascend FS128T "The Yacht" with a MotorGuide 30lb TM.
Upcoming: Sabine 19'x6'5" Flats Boat build.

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:50 pm

So I’ve still been agonizing on exactly which plans to build and I have another question. I apologize in advance if its ridiculous as I am new to this. Fishing the Texas flats I’ve come to love the setup of the SCB and Shallow Sport-style boats. A full flat deck, elevated helm seat/console, and the ability to go long distances across choppy waters to get to the best fishing spots. I understand the hull complexity isn’t really feasable with this type of construction, but would like to do something as close to that setup as possible. The closest plans I see to this setup is of course the Texas Scooter and the XF20/XF22. However, being a flat bottom, I’m concerned about running across Sabine Lake or Keith Lake in a good chop. Which is pretty common. The TX18 looks promising for this setup but is only designed to take a 50 hp outboard. Is there any way it could be built to handle my 2-stroke Yamaha 115? Could it have a full flat deck with raised/platform console? Or even the Phantom 18 and/or Phantom 22? For visual example you could just look up the Shallow Sport Classic for the setup I’m referring to. Link here.... https://www.shallowsportboats.com/models/classic/.

Thank yall again in advance...

SabineDream1021
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SabineDream1021 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Also a side note... my Yamaha V4 115 2-stroke outboard weighs almost the exact same as the 75 HP 4-stroke at around 360 lbs for weight distribution purposes.

nightcrawler
New Poster
New Poster

Post by nightcrawler » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Hey Sabine
ive been wrestling with the same problem. I started the xf 22 but had to put it aside for a couple reasons. Now that i am ready to start up again i question the wisdom of a completely flat boat. i've been toying with adding angled strakes on the chine and the edges of the tunnel. Probably make Jacques turn over at night. Any input welcome!!
Thanks
Roland