FS14LS Pre-Planning

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
bamaguy0
New Poster
New Poster

FS14LS Pre-Planning

Post by bamaguy0 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:12 pm

Hello all!

My name is Cameron and I've convinced myself that I can build a boat. :doh:

I've chosen the FS14LS build because the design is what I'm looking for in a boat to take mostly to Mosquito Lagoon area, but also in some of the smaller lakes and canals in the Central Florida area. I like the size and proportions because I have to fit it within my garage and it still has the ability to take a buddy along...or my wife while she reads or something.

Being a Mechanical Engineer, I had to take the plans and model them in CAD. I used Fusion360 because it's free and I've been using it for making parts for my 3D Printer. It's not the CATIA I use at work, but it's gets the job done usually. It's led me to ask a couple questions here. I was hoping to get them answered before I went whole-hog and ordered everything then made a trip down the FL Turnpike to visit Jeff and Co. at BBC. I do plan on upsizing by 5% and I'm looking at raising the sheer back up 2" or maybe a little more. I'm fairly tall at 6'2" and 9" from deck to sole just seemed a bit too short for me. I'm considering maybe taking it up to a nice round 12", but we'll see. It's been really nice having the parts loaded in Fusion360 so I can scale and tweak and adjust on the fly and make several different variants to compare at the same time. It also makes it easy to play with plywood nesting and see how efficient I can be with different design choices.

First question I had was the methodology for raising the sheer. Obviously I want to maintain the flat deck design, so I extended the top of each frame by continuing the outside line by 2" and then establishing a new "top". I then took the side panel flat pattern and extended 2 inches in the direction of the end lines and then at each station line dimension, added 2 inches perpendicular to the curvature. I think this gives me the proper curve and distance to grow the skin and the frame at the same amount. Here are a couple photos to illustrate.

Second, When assembling the stringer with the frames, I noticed that the stringer sits well below the frame's bottom profile. This appears to be an error in the "B" version prints where the stringer spacing was moved from 10" from CL to 13" from CL, but the thickness wasn't adjusted as you come up the slope of the hull, keeping the BL the same. If I move the stringer back to 10" as per the "A" version, then it's almost perfect. My question is, should the stringers remain at the "B" spacing with an update to the thickness of the stringer or should I return to the "A" spacing?

"B" Version
"A" Version

Lastly, this one is a bit of a stretch, but I'm toying with the idea of making it with a round chine. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for that? I know there's not really much a performance difference, just aesthetics. I'm not set on it, but I wanted to discuss the concepts of making it happen on an FS14 if it's possible. It seems like the biggest limitation is the number of frames and where they're located to help guide the curvature. Based on what I can tell, I would want to be back to a sharp chine at Frame B, so Frame A would be the only curved form between a sharp Frame B and the bow. That might make it difficult to get a consistent shape. I was thinking I could create an additional helper frame in between B and A to help guide the shape a little more. I'm more interested in other's opinions on this one. I can't seem to find many folks in the forum who actually think doing a rounded chine was worth the effort, and that's for designs that have it as an option!

Anyway, I know this became long winded, but I hope the questions made sense. I hope to get more involved here and once I get started I will be sure to begin a build log. I've been lurking a good bit and reading other folks build logs and discussions. There's a lot of great info in here. I was thinking about getting a GoPro and setting it in my garage just to capture all the work that I do. Seems like an interesting way to document what's being done and really what it takes to make one of these. I didn't seem to find too many YouTube videos of guys building the boats.

VT_Jeff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS14LS Pre-Planning

Post by VT_Jeff » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am

Welcome Cameron! I'm maybe halfway through my fs14ls+10%, have not started fltting the stringers and frames so you've got me thinking on that possible plan error, though as is often said here, that gap can be filled.

I'll let the smart fellas speak to your technical questions, just wanted to say welcome, great choice, and get extra epoxy. :D

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:11 am

That's a lot in one post. I see 3 questions, let's answer one at a time.

Increasing the sides height: the FS14LS is based on the FS14. It is an FS14 with a trimmed sheer line. It is tricky but possible to extend the sides but it would have been easier to start with the FS14. I wonder if the FS14 is not the ideal boat for you.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am

Round chine: that would be very complicated. It is possible but why? Aesthetics? Many will say that the hard chine is prettier.
Performance: no doubt that the hard is a better planing boat. The round chine will increase drag and increase sprays.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:19 am

Frames height: the baseline BL is the top of the stringers. The BL is shown on the frames.
Can you tell me where you see differences and give me the drawing numbers?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 am

Reid found the problem. While creating the PDF package, we mixed two sets of files. One drawing shows the stringers spacing as 13", the other 10" from CL.
10" is correct.
Disregard the drawing that shows 13". We will remove that drawing from the package. Sorry but thank you for posting about it.
This was a file update, the old PDF layout was correct but we tried to make it nicer. It confirms that if something is not broken, we should not fix it.

If somebody spaced the stringers 13", they will be too high. Either trim them to fit or move them to the 10" from CL distance.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:23 am

Bamaguy0,

Sorry for the confusion. The stringer spacing should be 10" from CL, I confirmed with Jacques. I will get the corrected plans emailed to you later today. Some how that dimension was mixed up when the plans were translated to larger format sheets.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

VT_Jeff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by VT_Jeff » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm

The plans I purchased last fall, Drawing "A 319/7" shows 10" if that is helpful to anyone.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bamaguy0 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:29 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:11 am
That's a lot in one post. I see 3 questions, let's answer one at a time.

Increasing the sides height: the FS14LS is based on the FS14. It is an FS14 with a trimmed sheer line. It is tricky but possible to extend the sides but it would have been easier to start with the FS14. I wonder if the FS14 is not the ideal boat for you.
I went back and forth between FS14LS and FS17LS for a couple weeks before pulling the trigger on FS14 plans. I went more conservative to ensure I can fit it in my garage. Maybe that's a compromise that I need to own and not worry with raising the sheer.

I keep bouncing back and forth between the boat that I really want vs what I can live with for now. I think the FS14 is all that I need for now and I just need to build it to the print and if I outgrow it in the future then I can address it then.
jacquesmm wrote:Round chine: that would be very complicated. It is possible but why? Aesthetics? Many will say that the hard chine is prettier.
Performance: no doubt that the hard is a better planing boat. The round chine will increase drag and increase sprays.
I didn't realize it would affect performance that much. I would much rather hull performance over asthetics.

And lastly regarding the stringer placements, I've already received the updated plans, so thank you for the quick turnaround. I'm very excited to begin this journey!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:11 pm

You'll find the BBC crew top notch and quick to get the orders out!

Post lots of pictures in the builders forum. We look forward to seeing what an engineer can build! :wink: