FS14LS Pre-Planning

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
bamaguy0
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14LS Pre-Planning

Post by bamaguy0 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Ha! I'm sure you'll find that I can draw pretty pictures, but actually building it is another story!

bamaguy0
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bamaguy0 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:55 pm

VT_Jeff wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am
Welcome Cameron! I'm maybe halfway through my fs14ls+10%, have not started fltting the stringers and frames so you've got me thinking on that possible plan error, though as is often said here, that gap can be filled.

I'll let the smart fellas speak to your technical questions, just wanted to say welcome, great choice, and get extra epoxy. :D

Jeff
Appreciate the advice. The plans call for 4.5gal, but I was going to upsize to 6 to be safe. Should I go 7.5?

VT_Jeff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by VT_Jeff » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:50 pm

Depends on what system, I went with the silvertip, currently a few quarts over the recommended fairing compound and a few gallons over the epoxy qty. I'm not an expert builder, there are guys who can get it done with the recommended quantities. The cost overages on the epoxy will be a minor line item in the end so I'm not worrying about it.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bamaguy0 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Oh I see. I was just going to get the Marinepoxy.

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Welcome aboard! As everyone else has said, you’ll find this crew and forum a close companion while preparing to build and while deep into it.

I too spent a few weeks modeling per plans in Fusion. It was big help visualizing for a first timer like myself and used and still use the model to cnc cut parts. FWIW, I’ve been using MarineEpoxy and have had no complaints. I think I’m close to 15 gallons or so.

GuyP
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by GuyP » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Welcome Cameron. I used the Marine Epoxy on my build, FS19 (-5%) in Ga, and it was easy to work with. The only material I added beyond the BOM was a 3 quart kit of Quikfair (nice stuff) and a gallon and a half more epoxy. This was my first stitch and glue build.

VT_Jeff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by VT_Jeff » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 pm

GuyP wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:36 pm
a 3 quart kit of Quikfair (nice stuff)
Agree, it's great/easy to work with. I really like the gel magic also. May be pricey but for me its worth it. The silvertip has been really good, little to no blush, very different from the west system i used before.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 pm

Agree with many of the previous replies. Most people seem to need a lot more epoxy that the building materials state. A little because of heavy resin usage, but I think mostly because most people add features over the simple version in the plans. You don't pay all that much more buying in batches though, so you can start with the kit and order more when you get near the bottom.

Also much prefer a modern 2-1 epoxy over 5-1 epoxies. No blush, longer working time with shorter cure time, easier wet out, more forgiving ratio. I've had great luck with the system 3 silvertip line, but others such as the total boat high performance epoxy are probably great too.

If money is the limiting factor you can have a great build with marine epoxy, but for me the silvertip line was a time saver, especially when you take into account the pre mixed components for glueing, fairing, and fillets.

bamaguy0
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bamaguy0 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:17 pm

I appreciate all the input. I was thinking about at least getting some of the QuickFair material maybe later when I'm further along in the build. Seems like that material is ideal for a final smoothing of the hull. I will finalize what I want to get this weekend and place the order with plans to drive down to Ft. Pierce and pick it up next Friday.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:59 pm

You will be very happy with QuickFair!! We agree with your logic of starting the fairing with our Blended Filler, much cheaper and that will get you to a near finish for the QuickFair!! Jeff