We were talking power tools awhile back...............

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Steve in Spring Hill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

We were talking power tools awhile back...............

Post by Steve in Spring Hill » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:23 am

I'm starting on a couple more XF20's and realized my batteries in my Hitachi cordless saw were about done. Running a drill they'll be ok but not a saw. Anyway I went to Lowes where I bought the Hitachi kit and wouldn't you know it they're the most expensive battery on the shelf $89 each!!! 8O

So keep that in mind when buying new cordless stuff for the holiday's.

Later...........Steve

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:04 am

Steve, look in your area for a company that rebuilds battery packs. I have had a bosch battery pack rebuilt for about 50% of the cost of buying a new bosch battery.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:27 am

It is possible to rebuild those batteries yourself. The biggest hassle is getting the old battery case open. Most of them are ultrasonically welded and you have to crack them open, but after that it's easy. The cells inside most cordless tool battery packs are common size Ni-Cad cells available from places like digikey.com for less than 5 bucks each. The old cells will be connected with tabs spot welded to the ends. You can order cells with or without those tabs (make your own with wire if there is room inside the housing) and solder them together in an arrangement identical to the original. Fit the cell assembly into the old case and stick it back together with glue or duct tape or whatever. It usually costs less than half of what a new battery does. Be sure to dispose of the old cells properly.
CC, D15, V10

Steve in Spring Hill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steve in Spring Hill » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:19 am

Wow great information guys, I've got one that's junk. So that'll be the one to conduct the experiment on I guess, nothing to loose.

Thanks again for the link and info.

Later.............Steve

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:10 pm

If you have little experience soldering, be careful! Use a Low wattage pencil iron, for a quick but not cold spot weld. Too much heat and you can boil electrolyte and blow the cell! I once blew a properly rated cap in a high voltage power supply for a 6L6 tube transmitter, because one of the bleeder resistors was out of tolerance range and overburdened one side of the circuit, enough to boil the cap. That capacitor was smaller than one of those cells and the resulting explosion of boiling electrolyte fortunately blew down instead of up into my face. Goggles please. Low wattage pencil iron and it should be fairly easy. I don't mean to foster paranoia, but I envision someone holding one of those popular mammoth High wattage soldering GUNS on the cell for 20 seconds while wondering what that sizzling sound could be. :help:

ks

roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by roob76 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:03 pm

wow this is some great info!! and ks8 thanks for the heads up on the soldering!!

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:20 am

Ryobi sure its junk but, the batteries can be found for 2@ 39.99 18volt

and you can pick and choose what tools you buy, instead of the combo kit.

I work in the trades and have found these tools to be quite durable and we are extremely ruff on them.

I used the circular saw and two batteries and cut out all the parts for my nutshell build. :wink:
"Off Fighting Windmills."

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:57 am

I have to agree about Ryobi. I have really enjoyed all the tools that you can get to match the 18v system, and in my area the batteries sell for 24.99. They die, I buy a new one, but they are going on a year now. Not precision tools but they do the job.

cuervo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cuervo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:06 pm

I have had very good results with Voltman at http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/index.htm. Send them your batteries and a check and they send you back rebuilt batteries. Pricing is based on voltage, not brand, and my rebuilt pair are as good as when I got them back, over two years ago. If I remember correctly, they don't do the old-style Makitas.
Cuervo
HB18 in progress