SECOND ANNUAL TEXAS COAST BUILDERS MEET

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: SECOND ANNUAL TEXAS COAST BUILDERS MEET

Post by Steven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks MD. I just came from Academy and saw the maps. I'll be making a run there tomorrow or Wed. to pick up what I need. I"m making a list. Have to get a new anchor as I lost mine Saturday. Lakes around here are anchor eaters. I'm switching to a river/mushroom or heavy Navy anchor. Something that doesn't grab so much. Does jigging around those pipe platforms with spoons and such work? I have a small selection of Mirro Lures I'd like to through as well. I'm not sure if I'll go out there or not since my tackle is pretty light.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 am

Looks like tide starts out around 6 am on the weekend. Will be nice to fish outgoing tide in the cool of the morning. I'd like to do some trolling in the pass for Kings on the outgoing, so hopefully it won't be too rough.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 am

Steven wrote:Thanks MD. I just came from Academy and saw the maps. I'll be making a run there tomorrow or Wed. to pick up what I need. I"m making a list. Have to get a new anchor as I lost mine Saturday. Lakes around here are anchor eaters. I'm switching to a river/mushroom or heavy Navy anchor. Something that doesn't grab so much. Does jigging around those pipe platforms with spoons and such work? I have a small selection of Mirro Lures I'd like to through as well. I'm not sure if I'll go out there or not since my tackle is pretty light.
Steven, I don't know much about anchoring in lakes but I think we can show you how to rig a danforth type anchor and make it stick proof. I have used a navy style anchor on a 17' shallow draft boat in the Landcut. It didn't work as well as one of cheaper anchors you can pick up at Academy. With this set up (right sized) http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =283850192 you will have all you need to anchor up in any bay conditions and we can make it easy to retrieve if it gets stuck. I doubt a mushroom anchor will hold your boat in a stiff wind at the coast. Anchoring offshore requires better gear so we should have that discussion while we check out the maps.

I have not dropped jigs at those rigs. If I did they would have to be at least 4 oz ( 8 is better) jigs. The currents around those rigs will keep any thing less off the bottom. If the tides are running out of the ship channel at that hour the inlet is going to dicey given the swell state. There should be kings along the jettys and just outside snagging bait being pushed out by the currents. :)

MD :wink:

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:59 am

Called Moby Dick's. If we all decide to eat there, one person can go about an hour and a half early, make the "reservation". they will take a phone number and call when they have enough tables to group together.

For Mexican, Taqueria San Juan said to Call and he would take care of us but I think he also said they were to have a group of forty that nite, if I understood him. (His accent was very heavy)
Last edited by Uncle D on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:14 am

Have to get a new anchor as I lost mine Saturday. Lakes around here are anchor eaters. I'm switching to a river/mushroom or heavy Navy anchor
Steven, the mushroom and navy type anchors are junk and would never hold your boat in anything but the calmest of conditions. Get a good anchor such as a claw type and rig it to trip when stuck.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:15 am

Mad Dog wrote:
Steven wrote:Thanks MD. I just came from Academy and saw the maps. I'll be making a run there tomorrow or Wed. to pick up what I need. I"m making a list. Have to get a new anchor as I lost mine Saturday. Lakes around here are anchor eaters. I'm switching to a river/mushroom or heavy Navy anchor. Something that doesn't grab so much. Does jigging around those pipe platforms with spoons and such work? I have a small selection of Mirro Lures I'd like to through as well. I'm not sure if I'll go out there or not since my tackle is pretty light.
Steven, I don't know much about anchoring in lakes but I think we can show you how to rig a danforth type anchor and make it stick proof. I have used a navy style anchor on a 17' shallow draft boat in the Landcut. It didn't work as well as one of cheaper anchors you can pick up at Academy. With this set up (right sized) http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =283850192 you will have all you need to anchor up in any bay conditions and we can make it easy to retrieve if it gets stuck. I doubt a mushroom anchor will hold your boat in a stiff wind at the coast. Anchoring offshore requires better gear so we should have that discussion while we check out the maps.

I have not dropped jigs at those rigs. If I did they would have to be at least 4 oz ( 8 is better) jigs. The currents around those rigs will keep any thing less off the bottom. If the tides are running out of the ship channel at that hour the inlet is going to dicey given the swell state. There should be kings along the jettys and just outside snagging bait being pushed out by the currents. :)

I had a fluke anchor with the slide ring so you can pull it out from the opposite direction. The Lake is very Rocky, and I suspect it was just lodged in too well. I've already decided to get another one though. It was one of the cheap ones from Academy with a 6' lenght of chain. I'll also pick up a big mushroom for the lake. No current there, so it will hold find. With 2 anchors, I'll have options.

When I was down a few years ago we trolled Ribbon fish inside the pass during the outgoing and had good luck. I hope it's calm enough for that. I'll have a couple trolling rods with levelwind Penn reels for that. I'd also like to bottom fish with Live Shrimp just outside the Jetties, as we had good luck doing that as well and all we caught was appropriate for my lighter gear.

Definitely will try our luck on the lady fish to give the kids some action.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:17 am

I've seen your rig before Larry. I might opt for that. Part of the problem in losing the anchor was probably just my inexperience in how to retrieve it. It has a sliding ring so you could pull it backwards. I cleated it off to the center cleat and tried to pull it out, but I wasn't really sure just how much oomph I could safely give it.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 am

Don't pull it from anywhere except the bow.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37 am

Cracker Larry wrote:Don't pull it from anywhere except the bow.

Ok. I remember you commenting in another post that it was dangerous if you did it incorrectly, and It made sense not to do it from the stern, so I picked the middle cleat, which is really 2/3rds of the way from the stern to the bow. But since I didn't know for certain, I figured it wasn't worth $50 dollars in ground tackle to find out. :)

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Uncle D wrote:Called Moby Dick's. If we all decide to eat there, one person can go about an hour and a half early, make the "reservation". they will take a phone number and call when they have enough tables to group together.

For Mexican, Taqueria San Juan said to Call and he would take care of us but I think he also said they were to have a group of forty that nite, if I understood him. (His accent was very heavy)
Moby it is!!!