Southeastern Builders Meet, 13th-15th, 2013 @ Sebastian?

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Southeastern Boat Builders Meet 2013

Post by wadestep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:48 am

jacquesmm wrote:To do something in our shop is a good idea.
We could have a workshop session about building a small boat, showing all the basics or maybe building a small boat.
I was thinking: if someone purchased a small boat plywood and epoxy kit, they might be able to leave the weekend with a boat at least ready to trailer home safely and do the finish work there. What a learning experience that could be for others. There's probably over 100 year's (or more) experience in this method of boat construction that attends these meets...
And, it would only take a small amount of time for each experienced builder - maybe 3-4 hours apiece... (I'd like to go fishing too)
wade

Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 am

wadestep wrote: I'm voting against anything west of Big Bend, or North of Jacksonville. Destin is beautiful, but it's at least 10 hours driving from here.
For me it doesn't matter to much we have to come from far anyway, I'm thinking of combining it with a trip to California and maybe Vegas. 8) I like both options although I'm hanging more to the Sebastian (Capt Hirams) option.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I was thinking: if someone purchased a small boat plywood and epoxy kit, they might be able to leave the weekend with a boat at least ready to trailer home safely and do the finish work there. What a learning experience that could be for others. There's probably over 100 year's (or more) experience in this method of boat construction that attends these meets...
That is a good idea, and if there is anyone part way through a build that wanted help with something, we could do little helps sessions as well (roll/tip, Kiwigrip, etc.)

Before I get too carries away, lets hear from those who would prefer Panahandle. I know there is a nice cobia run in the spring :)

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:23 pm

There is some great fishing off P-cola and Alabama/Mississippi....rigs and deeper water aren't to far off.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

There is some great fishing off P-cola and Alabama/Mississippi
How bad was the inshore fishing hurt by the oil. I know Port Saint Joe and Apalachicola did seem to be hurt too bad.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 pm

shine wrote:
That is a good idea, and if there is anyone part way through a build that wanted help with something, we could do little helps sessions as well (roll/tip, Kiwigrip, etc.)

Before I get too carries away, lets hear from those who would prefer Panahandle. I know there is a nice cobia run in the spring :)
Joel I wanted to make a poll topic so everyone can vote without having to explain why or why not he she want's it on what location, but the poll option is disabled can you please enable it?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm

just made the topic, i think you have to make a new topic to make a poll.....

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31195

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 pm

shine wrote:just made the topic, i think you have to make a new topic to make a poll.....

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31195
Thanks! 8) No I tried that I think it's only enabled for moderators and administrators. :(
Edit: please make it a sticky also.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:22 pm

SmokyMountain wrote:
How bad was the inshore fishing hurt by the oil. I know Port Saint Joe and Apalachicola did seem to be hurt too bad.
I was there this summer: traveled from Apalachicola to Mobile AL and did not see any oil problem. A few very small nodules on a beach here and there, maybe 1/2" diameter.

Let's not forget that we don't have to choose or more exactly, we can have 3 choices:
1. Sebastian on Florida East
2. Panhandle around Pensacola
3. Two meetings, one in each place.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 pm

SmokyMountain wrote:
There is some great fishing off P-cola and Alabama/Mississippi
I have friends and relatives that rely on the fishing industry as income and they haven't had any issues. There have always been tar balls washing up on the beaches....it seeps up from the sea floor naturally.
I went Snapper fishing this summer and it's like nothing ever happened.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK