2013 builder's meet

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc

2013 Meet Location Poll

Panhandle
37%
Sebastian, FL
58%
other (please post)
5%

Total votes: 19

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 2013 builder's meet

Post by AtTheBrink » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:
Sometimes those skeeters are mistaken for turkeys...
:lol:
I had 2 of them pick me up by each shoulder. One said to the other, "Where are we going?" The other one answered " doesn't matter, let's just get him out of here before our parents come and take him away from us."
:lol: Woow! Pretty scary stuff can happen down there in the land of the dinosaurs! :lol:

Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 pm

so is it really those extra tanks of gas that is holding some people back in case it's a little further as around their corner??
It is for me if I was to drive there. At todays fuel prices it would cost me close to $1800.00 just in fuel to get there and back :help: count in about 4 to 5 nights in a hotel on the way and I'm OUT :wink:
Only way I can do it is to fly and not bring my boat, but if I'm going to a boat builders meet I'd sure like to have my boat there.
Completed: FL14, OD18

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 am

Larry B wrote: Only way I can do it is to fly and not bring my boat, but if I'm going to a boat builders meet I'd sure like to have my boat there.
Me to but sometimes you have to sacrifice something to get the other, I had a great time without my boat last June @ the Keys, it's not only about the boats it's also if not more about the people doing/loving the same thing you love to do. Hope this made change you mind 8)

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:26 am

peter-curacao wrote:
Larry B wrote: Only way I can do it is to fly and not bring my boat, but if I'm going to a boat builders meet I'd sure like to have my boat there.
Me to but sometimes you have to sacrifice something to get the other, I had a great time without my boat last June @ the Keys, it's not only about the boats it's also if not more about the people doing/loving the same thing you love to do. Hope this made change you mind 8)
Actually, I had plans to go to the Key's, seems life got in the way again. I really hope to make the meet one year because I would really like to meet up face to face. I can bring pictures of my boat :wink: I've only met a few face to face and all were fantastic people as I'm sure all the rest are.
I'll make it happen soon :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I am planning a florida trip for next summer so no matter where it is I will stop by to see you guys if I can. Back to the everglades and a stop at Punta Gorda. I havent fished Punta Gorda since the Redfish Cup in 2004.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:24 pm

AtTheBrink wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:
Sometimes those skeeters are mistaken for turkeys...
:lol:
I had 2 of them pick me up by each shoulder. One said to the other, "Where are we going?" The other one answered " doesn't matter, let's just get him out of here before our parents come and take him away from us."
:lol: Woow! Pretty scary stuff can happen down there in the land of the dinosaurs! :lol:
I think Hurricane Floyd blew some of those skeeters up here. Shortly after Floyd, one of them flew past me and I saw 3 ticks on his leg 8O

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 pm

I voted for Sebastian, but in the earlier thread threw out an option of Little Harbor Inn, a nice place on the east side of Tampa Bay. Rooms for under $100/night, cool sunsets over the bay from the Tiki Bar and pier, nice beach for the kids, good food at the restaurant, and I think I could get a deal for boats tied up near the rooms. Just a thought... I really like Sebastian and my boat has not seen that coast yet.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

cape man wrote:in the earlier thread threw out an option of Little Harbor Inn, a nice place on the east side of Tampa Bay.
I liked that also, seems like a cool place

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:55 pm

One of our first get togethers was held in Sebastian. Some of us stayed on the North side of the inlet at For e it was a three hour drive from one side of the state to the other.a camp ground which has escaped my mind of the name. Very nice campground mostly rough anemities. The wind was a steady 25 or 30 MPH the entire weekend. Jacques cooked up some of his famous BBQ Chicken which was awsome. Most all of the outer sites were available for you to tie your boats up to. No docks but tied up next to the mangroves. Very shallow areas all around the site so idleing was the main source until you got in the channel. On the South side is Sebastian Inlet State Park. Very nice all paved sites and also has a ramp on the SE end of te campground. Great swimming areas and walking distance to the Ocean. Fantastic fishing area and the inlet can get real nasty. Monster redfish in the inlet as well as snook. bluefish etc. Joel knows the name of the campground on the N. side of the inlet. It is a county park. First come first serve on the sites.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glu

Swamp Skiff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Swamp Skiff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:28 pm

The swamp angels aren't that bad in S. Florida till the rainy season kicks in for real. Usually the rains starts between the beginning of June and the middle of July unless it is a really weird year then who knows when or even if. Once the first really good rain falls then all of those eggs from last season hatch a few days later and they are all competing for your blood. Bring at least a head net, I also prefer a Therma-cell as well. Long sleeves and pants are a given even during the dry season. Don't count on the local shops to have enough skeeter gear for everyone to buy, bring it with you. Of course if you get desperate enough I might be willing to part with mine, that is for a suitable fee mind you( insert evil laughter!). The 10k Islands (Everglades City) may be a little more affordable in some ways especially if small groups are willing to share a house/condo/cabin. Something to consider is that the 10K Islands are infamous for getting people lost and damaging boats as compared to Boca/Charlotte Harbor. The idiot boaters with more money than brains are more of an issue in Boca/CH. I think both are equidistant to airports. Both take about an hour and a half driving time from my house so it's a wash for me.

Watch out for the thumb sized skeeters or B-52s as I call them, you really do have to wonder if they might haul off a small child. They hurt like a SOB when they bite too.

Swamp
Swamp