2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2015

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2

Post by majorgator » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:48 am

Aripeka Angler wrote:I'm pretty much good with anything except camping. I don't have a camper and the Mrs isn't into tent camping :lol:
I have run CR and Homosassa several times and I don't see a lot of difference in their motor munching characteristics.
If you stay in the channel in the river, you won't have any drama.
There's a few places in the channel on the Homosassa River that have some sharp turns, and you have to pay attention to the channel markers because they can be somewhat spread apart. I've seen people try to shortcut the channel, but they didn't have much success. I've shortcut it a few times on HIGH TIDE in my XF, but that's only after I've seen what low tide looks like to confirm there aren't any booger rocks sticking up :lol:
jacquesmm wrote:Riverside resort and Macrae have decent reviews on TripAdvisor. Macrae looks nice: old Florida.
The campground has mixed reviews on RVnet. They say it's crowded.
I'd say that's pretty accurate. That campground is probably slammed right now with snowbirds and definitely slammed during the summer (scallop season). I made some reservations there a while back for an upcoming month in April-May to go park the trailer and have a temporary weekend fishing spot, and they told me that spring time reservations are easy (ie, not that busy). I imagine that fall is a little better. Macrae's could be better since they have accommodations that aren't right next to the boat ramp. But anytime I've ever been there, the action/traffic around Riverside Resort is hectic. Everybody wants to see the stupid monkey island :lol: :lol:

Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:37 am

Aripeka Angler wrote:I have run CR and Homosassa several times and I don't see a lot of difference in their motor munching characteristics.
...said by a captain who is accustomed to running channels where the outdrives are within 2' of motor munching rocks every time. And that's on high tide. :lol:
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 am

.said by a captain who is accustomed to running channels where the outdrives are within 2' of motor munching rocks every time. And that's on high tide. :lol:
On low it's downright frightening :lol:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:26 am

wadestep wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:I have run CR and Homosassa several times and I don't see a lot of difference in their motor munching characteristics.
...said by a captain who is accustomed to running channels where the outdrives are within 2' of motor munching rocks every time. And that's on high tide. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
I'll probably be the first guy at the meet to smash a prop :lol:
Cracker, I think we were poling the boat when you took that photo :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:50 am

Looks like a good place for a jet drive :wink: :)

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:27 pm

shine wrote:Looks like a good place for a jet drive :wink: :)
Yes it is :) That's what the FWC uses in my neighborhood. Lots of guys use airboats as well as tunnel jon boats with jack plates.
I'm excited about Homosassa, looking forward to it...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:46 pm

INTEL REPORT:

I had some time today to go by and take a look at the 3 primary options in Homosassa. On a positive note, all 3 places confirmed that October is probably their least busiest time. Each of these has sufficient room for the group and any kind of gathering we would have.

Camp N Water
As we all know, this is an RV park but does have 12 (I think) mobile home park-model type cabins. The campground has nice looking sites with full hookups. I was only able to see one cabin because all the other were full. The one I saw, well...it was clean. That's about all I can say about them. They're pretty much old, outdated, well-used, etc. I'm sure they're sufficient, but I'd rather not. On the plus side, this place has its own canal and very private dockage.
Campsites: $40/night
Typical Cabin: $127/night
Boat Slip: $5/day

Macraes
This place is basically the center of the action. There is a bar/restaurant on the property, along with boat ramp and tackle & bait shop. The property itself is nice, but I was reminded today just how crowded and active it can get with outside traffic. They have 2 basic styles of rooms that would appeal to us: Standard and Efficiency. The Standard rooms are just like any basic motel room you've ever seen, and none of them have a refrigerator. The Effiency rooms are larger and have a full kitchen. They say that all the rooms have been remodeled, but I don't think they're definition of "remodel" would agree with what most people expect. Generally speaking, the rooms are clean and much nicer than those at Camp N Water. I would be willing to stay there for a night or two, but it's certainly not better than 2 star quality. They have 10 boat slips that are free to the guests and first come first served (no reservations). The slips are right on the river, though this area is a no wake zone.
Standard: $100/night
Efficiency: $150/night

Riverside Reosrt
When you're heading toward Macraes, if you turn left at the ramp, you go to the rooms for Macraes. But if you turn right, you go into Riverside Resort. And while I had commented before about this place being so busy and full of traffic, I might have to reconsider that statement. There are rooms which face out over the river that are more/less immune to the busy-ness. I'll say this: Riverside Resort is BY FAR the nicest place of the three. They have very nice rooms that overlook the river, are very spacious, very clean, have full kithcens, and quite frankly, you just can't do any better than this. The boat slips are on the river, but are protected by the dock layout (kinda hard to explain). Of course, this level of quality comes at a price...
1 BR, 1 BA (river view): $160/night
1 BR, 1 BA (river front): $180/night
Standard (very much motel style): $85/night
(Other room options available if you want)
Boat Slips: $20/night

The manager at Riverside Resport wasn't there when I was, but I'm awaiting a call from her regarding a potential group discount.

If you're at Macraes or Riverside, you're right next to each and within walking/stumbling distance to 2 or 3 restaurants.
See my XF20 Build Thread

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:44 am

It looks Riverside is the way to go. They have different types of rooms that will fit either those who bring their wives and require more comfort and those who are budget minded and just want an inexpensive room.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:34 pm

jacquesmm wrote:It looks Riverside is the way to go. They have different types of rooms that will fit either those who bring their wives and require more comfort and those who are budget minded and just want an inexpensive room.
I agree.
For your info, Jacques, the campground is pretty decent, secluded, and has good tree canopies throughout. I think it would be a fine place to stay if you have an RV. But I would avoid the cabins all together :lol:
See my XF20 Build Thread

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for the research Seth. Riverside sounds fine to us 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose