HC12 22nd September 2017 Big Yellow Tractor

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HC12 22nd September 2017 Big Yellow Tractor

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 am

I owned the HC16 prototype for a while and used her. Alone in the boat, it was less stable than a my daughter's Coleman canoe but much faster. Loaded with 3 persons (1 adult, 2 kids), it stability was fine and performance still much better than the Coleman.
You have to sit or kneel on the bottom of those boats, not on the yoke.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Fair WX Pilot wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:43 am
Fantastic pictures. I have lots of great memories fishing some of the waters around there with my Dad. Your boat looks great, what a fantastic way to spend a quiet morning.
There's certainly worse ways to spend a few hours. Thanks for your comments.

terrulian wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:59 am
I hope the second guessing about the design won't impede your enjoyment of the boat too much. Perhaps there is a workaround that will come to you.
I think I'm there with it. With a bit of fiddling it will now cope with it's intended use

terrulian wrote:
Your photos are wonderful and I enjoy the posts on your outings as I can relate...except for the ice bit.
Thanks, I enjoy writing (or maybe just rambling). I don't mind a crisp, cold day. Rather that than too hot. It rarely gets stupid cold here, I think the coldest overnight might be -15°c. And that won't last long. Saying that, one year we did have ice on the canal thick enough to support an old Austin Mini.

terrulian wrote:
I normally am alone and the serenity of the times on the water are not quite like anything else I've done in boating.
Unlike you, however, I can't see where I'm going. :? :D
I am really enjoying it. Sometimes I don't even paddle very far but just find myself bobbing about and enjoying the peace.
Maybe if you took a dressing-table mirror and G-clamped it to the transom :-)

jacquesmm wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 am
I owned the HC16 prototype for a while and used her. Alone in the boat, it was less stable than a my daughter's Coleman canoe but much faster. Loaded with 3 persons (1 adult, 2 kids), it stability was fine and performance still much better than the Coleman.
You have to sit or kneel on the bottom of those boats, not on the yoke.
Hello Jacues,
I had already put the seats lower than on the plans and with one about six inches nearer the middle. I am not the most experienced canoeist by any means but I ride motorcycle trials so do possess perhaps more than reasonable balance. I am not displeased with the boat at all and have been happy to experiment. Maybe some notes on the plans that seating positions or perhaps leaving the seats out should be decided by the builder.

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:29 am

I have moved the potage yoke and made a foam block to extend the seat towards the centre of the boat so went for a little splash about yesterday to try things out.

Put in at North Warnborough, paddled past the official limit of navigation (I assume that's what the bouys across the canal are) and up to Greywell Tunnel. Passed King John's Castle twice but forgot to take any pictures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odiham_Castle

The ducks at this end of the canal are less happy to see a canoe than the other places I've paddled. I'm used to passing mallard within a couple of feet but here, they take flight and seem very skittish.

I saw a few groups of Little Grebes; such charismatic little birds. The adults look like chicks from behind because they have “Fluffy Bottoms”. They dive when disturbed but, like their larger namesake, some will paddle out in front of a boat before diving and surfacing behind. Whether this is just a game to them or it has some feeding advantage, I'm not sure.

Also saw a couple of Wren's and a Little Egret.

Because the water is crystal clear hear, it's easy to spot a lot of fish. I'm not great with my piscine recognition but spotted Perch, Pike and Carp amongst others. Quite a lot of fish jumping too. Obviously to avoid said Pike and Perch.

I toddled back the other way for about an hour before turning round. My lunch stop was slightly spoiled by some road noise and the fact that I stood in a 9lb dog turd. Luckily, there was some water nearby for me to wash my welly off in.

On returning to the put-in, I had a play for half an hour or so in the wider bit near the bridge. Just trying different strokes and body positions. I can kneel, turning round and using the yoke as a kneeling thwart but didn't really notice much difference in handling. Perhaps it might make quick changes of direction a little easier. I managed not to fall in but dipped the gunwales more than a few times and had to have a bit of a bail out before carrying on.
DSCF0118.JPG
Start
DSCF0122.JPG
Pinch
DSCF0123.JPG
Tunnel
DSCF0124.JPG
Gates
DSCF0125.JPG
Swing Bridge
DSCF0128.JPG
Arched Bridge
DSCF0134.JPG
Lunch stop

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 am

Great to see you using your canoe. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the updates. The modifications you are making sound useful and effective. Glad you are documenting them for future builders to consider.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:38 pm

BYT you are posting some really nice pictures. I am enjoying them very much, keep it up :D

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Bit of a different day today. Met up with a bunch of like-minded nutters (which is a worry) to do a litter pick where a local canal goes through a town centre. The forecast was for 2°c with rain turning to snow and a slightly worrying weather warning for winds gusting to 50mph.

The wind never materialised where we were but we got rained on lots and had a couple of hours of big fluffy snowflakes.

We recovered loads of bottles and cans, three bicycles, four traffic cones, some plastic garden chairs and a supermarket shopping trolley from just under two miles of canal. I used my little boat as a lighter and unloaded to a couple of the bigger canoes. We were all full up to the gunwales when we finished.
Attachments
DSCF0138[1].JPG

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Good on you and the others for doing the clean up :!: Have to say the weather did not sound like it was the best day for it :?:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Good of all of you to clean-up!! Too bad so many people just don’t care what they do with their trash!!! Jeff