LB22, Dec 2017, Rob R

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LB22, Dec 2017, Rob R

Post by Fuzz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Really nice and amazing you are able to pull a skier with 40hp.

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 am

Awesome, super versatile with that arrangement. Looks ready for some camp cruising with the kids!

As a near-40 year old adult I managed to ski behind my little pontoon with a 30hp suzuki. Wide skis really help!

Rob R
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob R » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 am

Thanks for the nice comments on the boat and the family. I'm pretty proud of both.

My kids have enjoyed helping build the boat over the years. I would probably still be building it for another few years except that my boys said "come on dad, we want to go fishing in it before we leave home", so I built quicker and tolerated more imperfection in the last six months. It was good advice from them.

We have reached 16 knots with three on board and a headwind. I'm not sure how much faster it would go in ideal conditions.

It runs easily and efficiently at 11 knots.

One of the things that attracted me to the design was the semi-displacement nature of the hull and modest engine size. I like the idea of taking time to get places and enjoying the journey, and of being less polluting. I have to remind myself of this every now and again when a similar size boat with a much bigger engine speeds past. Got to resist those competitive urges, I suppose.
Attachments
IMG_6229.jpg

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:50 am

WOW that is a awesome boat.

I think I have my third build in mind.
Garvey 13 - complete always wanted a Whaler 13 ...........
Panga - for the loop
LB22 - for the look and function

Rob R
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob R » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 am

I checked the top speed when I was out today.

Although the Yamaha speed gauge read 16 knots, the Lawrence GPS read 20.5 knots, which I presume is the more correct speed.

That was at 5200 revs.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:02 am

Very impressive speed numbers. Impressive boat all the way around.

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 am

That is almost what I got with the same engine on my OD18! Very impressive. If 5200 was at wide open throttle, you might get even better numbers dropping the pith in the prop an inch. That 40 tops out at 6300 and Yamaha 4 strokes don't achieve their rated horse power until about 5800.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:23 am

That is a beautiful job on that LB22. My compliments to your daughter on the color choice too.

I would love to see a close up of the detachable laminated beam for the soft top. Sounds like a great idea.

I hope you and your family enjoy for many years to come.
Sanding is cathartic...

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 am

Beautiful build. I built the LB22 with a hard top, but would much prefer what you have done. I don't know anything about fitting canvas so didn't try. I bet I would leave the canvas off most of the time if I had the choice, given all the open space available. I love the color choices you made too. Hats off to you.

Dougster

Rob R
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob R » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 am

Jtdums, I have included a few photos of the detachable beam arrangement.

We laminated the beam from a few layers of ply. The supports are attached by screws and epoxy to the front of the 'c' frame. A stainless bolt goes through the beam and support, and is held with a wing nut.

So far it has been steady and supported the weight of those who grab it when rocked by waves.

There is also a flexible fibreglass batten half way back that also supports the canvas. It just sits inside a rectangular metal fitting screwed to the top inside of the cabin sides. It won't support anyone's weight.

Dougster, thanks for your build thread - it helped innumerable times. I had the canvas cover made as it is well outside my skill set and, unlike the other parts of boat building that were initially outside my skills set, I wasn't really interested in learning it.

Cape Man, boating always seems to involve compromises. If I change the prop pitch to get more speed, would I lose some other characteristic (e.g. initial acceleration? fuel efficiency?)

Rob
Attachments
IMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg