RB14 by Kyla and Dad

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
OrangeQuest

Re: RB14 by Kyla and Dad

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Hope all is well and the little runabout is spending a lot of time on the water.

I was wanting to use the Suzuki 25HP long shaft and I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions.
Chase tube diameter for the shift cable and then for the steering cable? And did you run the engine wiring harness in the same chase tubes?
I tried reaching out to Suzuki but they are not much help in that matter. It will be 10 months away better I buy my motor and hoping they will have the white one with remote in a 20" shaft by then. I may paint the boat in the same trim.

Thanks for any help,
OQ

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 pm

OQ diameter for mechanicals 2-2.5". No for electrical and mechanicals, they need separate chase tubes, say 1.5 for electrical. Mechanicals may rub on electrical cables. For bigger boats I recommend 5 chase tubes, 1 mechanical, 1 main electrical, 1 for the fish finder, 1 for the fuel, 1 extra for things like bilge pumps, fish well pumps and what ever else you may come up with. Cracker Larry and I settled on this as the minimum several years ago.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums » Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 pm
Hope all is well and the little runabout is spending a lot of time on the water.

I was wanting to use the Suzuki 25HP long shaft and I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions.
Chase tube diameter for the shift cable and then for the steering cable? And did you run the engine wiring harness in the same chase tubes?
I tried reaching out to Suzuki but they are not much help in that matter. It will be 10 months away better I buy my motor and hoping they will have the white one with remote in a 20" shaft by then. I may paint the boat in the same trim.

Thanks for any help,
OQ
We are having our fun and due to take it to the UP in a couple of weeks. That's where the fun really lives.

As far as chase tubes, I can't really be of help because the controls for the RB were run up the side of the boat and hidden behind panels. (A different "side mount" binnacle than the one that came with the outboard was purchased.) We didn't use tubes. Frames did get holes, but they were kept as small as possible so control cable and wiring were sent through different holes. Honestly don't remember the hole sizes because we measured and drilled on the fly.

Best advise is probably from Tom. Going with the standard will keep it safe and ensure no problems down the road.

Good luck with your build.
Sanding is cathartic...

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun May 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Thank you for the response. I hope you get to build a boat for you soon!
OQ

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon May 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Talked to Onlineoutboards.com, they said the controller that comes with the motor does not come with the control cables. So I can go ahead and get them and size a chase tube for that and the steering cable. Woohoo :D !!

Trying to drill all my chase tube holes while the frames are still on the workbench so I stand the best chance of them all lining up. After the frames are taped in I can then open the holes back up and install the chase tubes.
OQ

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Getting there! :D

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 am

Sounds like a good plan. I haven't thought to do it that way before.
Sanding is cathartic...