GV10 Sept 2018 “Offcuts" Splashed

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV10 Sept 2018 “Offcuts" Splashed

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon May 06, 2019 1:12 pm

"I'm trying to get this back in the water as the fish are calling. Its supposed to be the "Finished Boats" section, not the "I cant stop tinkering with it" section :D ."
There should be a section for that or the named changed to "Almost finished"

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

terrulian wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm
You could always go with an actual thru-hull transducer. Garmin also makes an in-hull transducer that you just glue into the bilge. I have a cheap Humminbird that mounts that way that has worked well for years but it's a depthsounder only.
I am not sure that would work with the plywood core. I know it works just fine through solid glass. Have you tried it that way? I might just learn something new today :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon May 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Yes, good point. Mine is on a fiberglass hull, and I just checked the website and it says for single-layer fiberglass hulls. Hmm. I don't know what "single-layer" refers to but I'd guess my hull is made of more than one layer. 8O Probably right, it wouldn't work through a composite hull. Humminbird would know.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm

The keel on my Westport was about one inch thick solid glass. I got good readings through it but lost some sensitivity. I did learn I had to keep a little water in the bilge, enough to almost cover the transducer, or it would not work at all.
On my dory I cut out the wood where I wanted the transducer and filled with solid glass.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 am

Fuzz wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm
The keel on my Westport was about one inch thick solid glass. I got good readings through it but lost some sensitivity. I did learn I had to keep a little water in the bilge, enough to almost cover the transducer, or it would not work at all.
On my dory I cut out the wood where I wanted the transducer and filled with solid glass.
I did the same on my dory. I cut a 6”diameter hole and filled it with glass. I would like to use the side scan transducer on this if possible but don’t want it to look like a dogs dinner when I’m done. Bad planning on my part really.
Alan.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 am

Oh, it is one of the long transducers for the side scan feature, yeah, they need to be clear of anything around them. Maybe a trolling motor type mount that clamps to the transom and you can unclamp when not in use. Those transducers look pretty much like a small trolling motor anyway. It would make it easy to move from one boat to the next if you so choose. Maybe even see in front of the boat by turning the transducer 90° and lowering below the keel. :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Clamping the transducer onto the trolling motor would give me 360 deg side scan! Now this seems like a bit of overkill for a ten foot boat but when did that stop any of us. I decided to stop messing around and just install it where I always planned to. I took the trailer bunks apart and repositioned them which has done a better job anyway.

Here you can see the backing block that I installed during the build for just this purpose.

Hated drilling the hole in the transom but there you go. I saturated the bare wood with epoxy to seal it and then potted the cable once dry.

The inside came out quite neat.

Luckily I have a fairly good band saw so shaping the flotation foam parts wasn't that hard.

Test fit them and all seems fine so far.

I took them back out and epoxied in the tubes that will allow me to bolt them in and remove them for cleaning and storage.

Cleaning them up and routing a radius on the edges was horrible work with foam and dust every ware. I have ordered some 6oz fabric to cover the floats as pink foam is not fuel resistant. It should also make them more hard waring.

The biggest part of the refit arrived today. Last year I made do with a knackered old 5.5hp that I hadn't even had chance to service, but this year we now have a brand spanking new 9.9hp! This could be a "hold my beer" moment :D .
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Oh Hell Yes! She'll scream!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 am

So I went out on Thursday because it was a lovely day just to get the boat wet and to be honest was itching to try the new motor and upgrades. I don't have the flotation panels completed yet but inpatients got the better of me. My local haunt is lake Massabesic near Manchester NH. Its only about 20 minutes door to ramp so its great for short notice fishing trips.

Running in a new motor is like opening a great Christmas present and being told you cant have the batteries until after lunch. I'm sticking with the break-in schedule so plodded around at half throttle for most of the morning with the required rev variations. Half throttle gives me around 4 - 5kts GPS with the bow stuck up in the air. After a couple of hours playing with the fish finder and exploring the bottom with the sonar I went to 3/4 throttle for a little bit. 3/4 throttle accelerates to plaining at 14kts GPS :D . There's no sign of porpoising which is great but I will have to wait to run things in a little more before I get to try WOT.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 am

Excellent work Fair WX Pilot!!! Jeff