GV10 Sept 2018 “Offcuts" Splashed

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV10 Sept 2018 “Offcuts" Splashed

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Wed May 22, 2019 11:07 pm

Don't forget as a motor breaks in a bit the power output will usually increase a bit; rings seat better etc.

But very nicely finished boat. Really looks nice.

designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:10 pm

After a slow start to the boating season this year I have finally completed the flotation panels and have them installed. Thanks to everyone that double checked my math. If the sums are correct I should have positive buoyancy.
Alan.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Man that is one nice skiff :!:

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm

So after the last outing where both my wife and I felt like we were cooked in the lovely New Hampshire sun (that's only here for a couple of months a year) :D. I decided to fit a removable Bimini top to give a little shade. I've never been a fan of Bimini's but its so easy to take off and I quite like the look now its on.

Yesterday was a nice day so we decided to go to Newburyport in Massachusetts for a days fishing and try offcuts in the ocean.

The Merrimack river was as smooth as glass but the waves were two to three feet closer to Plumb island and the ocean as forecast. I am impressed how dry the ride was even when it did get a bit rough. No pictures of when it was rough, too busy hanging on :D.

Back on dry land with only a couple of scratches to show for the day. Unfortunately I managed to bump into a rock (possibly the top of a mountain) when we were holding on in the waves. Depth went from 19' to 1' to 19' almost instantly and I dragged the skeg and prop. No real damage, just a little touch up. I did check the charts and its on there, but not on the chart I looked at before we went :roll: .

To do list after this outing. 1. Get a better anchor! I was using a cheap Chinese copy of a Danforth and it wasn't man enough with the addition of the Bimini in the wind. We dragged almost every time. 2. Look at fitting a hydrofoil to the outboard to help with performance. I would like trim tabs as was suggested but there's no room on the transom.

Washed and ready to go out again.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Nice Fair WX Pilot!! Sorry about the rock!! Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Another great day at Newburyport. The water was as smooth as a lily pond but the sun was hot. I was glad of the Bimini this trip.

I got there early and had the place to myself. She looks very small all alone at the end of the dock.

The fishing was ok for such a hot day. Everything I caught was small which I suppose is good for the species but not so good for me. Not complaining though, I have a couple of new rods and hate fishing with a rod that haven't ever caught. The first one always seems the hardest.

Offcuts to the rescue! When I got back to the dock it was pandemonium. This guy had started putting his boat in the water and had dead batteries having left the battery master on since he used it last time. You all know the guy who never maintains his boat but is always surprised when it breaks down. He couldn't get it back on the trailer as he hadn't maintained that either. Offcuts is so small that I was able to weave in and out of the line waiting to use the ramp and jump start the dead boat :D . Thinking of starting up a GV10 Boat Tow service :D
Alan.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Careful being a good guy. I gave some people a three hour tow the other day and ever since then my fishing has turned to crap :cry:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:41 pm
Careful being a good guy. I gave some people a three hour tow the other day and ever since then my fishing has turned to crap :cry:
What's wrong, the wife won't go fishing with you? :lol:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 pm

Fair WX pilot:
How much rode did you have out when you were dragging? Did you set it by backing down? A five pound Danforth should be enough on that boat; scope of 7 to 1 ought to do it; but in 19 feet that's over 130 feet. You don't need giant rope, however, 3/8" nylon is more than strong enough with some chain on the anchor end. Unless you're hooking up on a dodgy bottom like weed or gravel, you should have success in setting it.
Hope I'm not boring you with stuff you know already.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:06 am

BB Sig wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 pm
Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:41 pm
What's wrong, the wife won't go fishing with you? :lol:
you too Brutus :cry: :lol: