C17 Center Console July 4, 2013

Post your launchings here. Please keep the to plan/date format
MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: C17 Center Console July 4, 2013

Post by MrPaul » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:56 am

Nice striped bass! By looking at your shore line pic looks like you guys have a pot licker problem there . :lol:

David516
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David516 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 pm

That REALLY is a beautiful job !
I'm especially impressed with that swim deck did you have to drill the hull to install that?
Did you run the wiring chases under deck?
The boat just looks like a really beautiful classic.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 am

David516 wrote:That REALLY is a beautiful job !
I'm especially impressed with that swim deck did you have to drill the hull to install that?
Did you run the wiring chases under deck?
The boat just looks like a really beautiful classic.
Thanks David: Yes, the swim step is bolted through the hull.
I ran 3 different chase tubes under the deck to the stern lockers. One for the fuel line, one for the shift and throttle cables and one for electrical and engine control wiring harness.

David516
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David516 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 pm

You really do a great job.
Im thinking of using your example to a degree. Im building the cabin with full benches version so I will run the steering and throttle chase under the starboard bench or coaming (gotta see it done first). But I'd like to run two chases below deck for the wireing harness and one for the electronics and lights. I like deck lights.
Ill probably use two portable fuel tanks on a Y valve (in one of the aft closets) and keep them under the benches. There should be canvas covering the bench fronts as its easier to deal with than doors when your on the water, especially if it gets a bit bumpy while we're fishing.
You've given me a lot to think about over the holidays! :D
I would probably run the chase for the throttle/steering below deck too but I can't come to terms with how I would do that from the starboard console/helm, and how to keep the bends within specifications. I dont know if i could get away with two 90 degree bends plus a third bend to the motor.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:23 am

David I used the grey pvc tubing that electricians use. The bends in the elbows have longer sweeps to make it is easier to snake wires, and cables through. Use 45 degree elbows where you can. The small tube on the right in the picture is for the bow light.Image

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 am

Nice work Rmarsh!! Jeff

David516
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David516 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:54 pm

OK, I see how you moved the throttle and steering to the sides. I love it. I think I could use the same principle to direct the cables and wires from the starboard console!
I like the chase to the nav. lights.
I believe I remember a really small diameter tube I might run up the cabin bulkhead for the anchor and deck lights.
Would the hull have to be reinforced where the beams are drilled?

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:20 am

David516 wrote:OK, I see how you moved the throttle and steering to the sides. I love it. I think I could use the same principle to direct the cables and wires from the starboard console!
I like the chase to the nav. lights.
I believe I remember a really small diameter tube I might run up the cabin bulkhead for the anchor and deck lights.
Would the hull have to be reinforced where the beams are drilled?
David... I did add a backing plate to one side of the stringers, also kept the holes centered top to bottom and sized to fit tightly.
Your plan for putting the steering and shift control cables under the gunnel with the side console makes sense so you may only need a few small chases for lighting under the sole.

David516
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David516 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm thinking of putting the steering chase towards the centerline which would require installing the rotary steering at about a 22degree angle. whereas the wheel would be at center console (straight installation) and the cable would head for the conduit which would start at the lower port side of the console. I dont see where the steering needs to be perfectly horizontal or vertical. Since the throttle (whatever the basic coaming mounted lever is) will be on the coaming that cable should go easily under the gunnel ( :D :D :D nothing is ever easy!!!)