wegcagle GV15

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: wegcagle GV15

Post by TomW1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:30 pm

Will nice to be able to go fishing with your dad with a boat you have built. Nice fish he caught. :D

When your ready to change your prop let me know and I'll run the numbers through my prop calculators. Your right in that you are running to small a prop right now. Just keep the rpm's below the motor's listed high rpm's and you will be fine. Like Larry's GF18 that he built for his client there are numerous props that can work for you. You probably have a 3 blade on now and we ended up with a 4 blade for Larry. Well until your ready enough for now.

Regards Tom

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Fonda@kauai
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Fonda@kauai » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Nothing like going fishing with Dad. Doing it in boat you built yourself-priceless
So awesome 8) Reminds me of going striper fishing with my dad when I was just a lil guy :D
Aloha

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:48 am

For me the 50 is about as perfect as it gets. The only thing I don't like is the hole shot. I have always been a 2 stroke guy, and was really surprised by the difference. That being said it's so quiet running that more than once I've accidentally tried to crank an idling motor. I'll take the lack of noise over the lack in hole shot. I'm certainly not entering this boat in any drag races :lol:

In all honesty I have played with the motor a little (removed the air restriction plate and then got a buddy to run the numbers to make sure the ECU adjusted the gas flow to compensate for the extra air). Now it's basically an F60 hp yammi. This has definitely improved the hole shot, and given me a couple extra mph in the bank if needed. The cost is a smidge more gas used. This is why I am currently under propped. I think a smaller motor would be fine, but may struggle to get over the wake when fully loaded. I wouldn't get a significantly larger motor (not more than 60hp). A big part of the reason I chose to build this was the light weight and smaller motor requirements.

Thanks Tom! I will definitely need your help. I know minimal about prop selection, and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks Fuzz and Fonda. It was absolutely a day to be remembered :D

Will

GV15 Complete, D4 in progress

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Beautiful job and congratulations on the launch! :D 8) 8) 8)

More pictures and movies to follow? How about video in more of a chop? Sure looks smooth in that first video! :D

Wishing you many shared trips of rewarding boating. Nice striper! A great memory. :D