C12 Launch = Payback time! Build by Abahambi

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
abahambi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

C12 Launch = Payback time! Build by Abahambi

Post by abahambi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Guilty of Forum sloth: Been out on 4 trips now. Initial shake-down sail in early Feb. Just back from an Easter weekend camp with the boat in tow. Here are a few photo's of the finished article from the weekend trip. I stayed true to the hull design, centerboard, rudder, mast position, sail plan (sorta).... so no mucking with the CLR / CE design concepts. Modified the seating arrangement to suit my needs. Wanted flotation chambers built in and wanted to take advantage of multiple seating positions. Borrowed from some of Kanevedenn's concepts around the mast-partner. I've always loved a Gunter rig... so that was yet another indulgence on my part... I'm very happy with the result.

Lots of thought and redesigning effort centered around many hrs of Shiner induced contemplation led to this final result. Naming rights still highly contested in the family, so we have yet to land that one. Already thinking about an asymmetrical spinnaker. First launch fluky 4-6 kt winds but was actually ideal for the first shake-out in cold water. Next two were 8-10, with this weekend in the 10-12 kt steady. Two-up and she was desperately keen to get up on the plane at 12 knots. Probably need 15+ to lift her out with 73 sqft. Was going for half-batten roach in the sail design but threw that out at the last minute. Not yet sure if that was a good decision or a bad one. Only time will tell.

Despite being fully glassed on the outside, and trimmed out in African mahogany, she weighs in at 176 lbs. This African mahogany excursion was a mid-cycle build reversal from my quick'n-cheap, light and fast plan to make the structural components out of glass-sheathed cedar... I ended up going more traditional instead, discarding most of the already completed cedar parts which included the mast partner, the thwart, and the rear seat. These were very light and very stiff, but the bright-finished colors were a garish mix of orange, black, reds and yellows.... just had to go!
The gunnel was originally planned as steamed ash... but that too fell by the wayside once the mahogany showed up. Steaming / bending the mahogany was not an option... so that had to be built up in laminations.... which then begged for a scuppered gunnel.... and so on.. and so on....

A note of thanks to the many out there who dropped a picture or made a suggestion in an unrelated thread and unwittingly helped me with an idea or a concept which I could leverage, copy, or in some cases avoid... that is the real power of these builders forums. Fantastic!

Finally, an acknowledgement of Jacques' patience for the design re-do that lives in all of us, and his skill
at putting together a keen little vessel design in the first place! Appreciated.

Shaun.

Cold early morning start

Pick me up at the dock!

Cruising Under Sail!

"I could get used to this" he says!

Lunchtime!

Easy run

Sail-camping or Camp-sailing... not sure.

Whose turn is it to rig?

All set for first Outboard trial

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C12 Launch = Payback time! Build by Abahambi

Post by Walkers Run » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:03 am

Great looking boat. I love the gunnels! Thanks for sharing
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 am

Yep, a pretty little sailboat for sure. Congratulations! 8)
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 am

Very pretty. Nice gunnel and I love the gunter rig.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Man that thing is PURDY :D

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Very, very nice 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

abahambi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by abahambi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:40 pm

High praise from the professionals. Appreciate the kind words.Image

Have lots of video clips and photo's of little jigs and work-arounds assembled over the build . With some evening time back on my schedule thought I might post a few to offer an opportunity for discussion (to be leveraged or avoided of course...Image )

Suppose if that were to be done it should be in Builder's Progress under Small Boats... yes?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am

Yes, please post pictures there. We all love to see pictures of the building.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 pm

8)

Beautiful... congratulations!

Thank you for sharing the pictures and the joy :D