NC OD18 No Excuse Relaunced 8/15/16 TomW

Post your launchings here. Please keep the to plan/date format
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

NC OD18 No Excuse Relaunced 8/15/16 TomW

Post by TomW1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Deb and I relaunced CL built No Excuse on Monday.

This is Deb tooling around while I park the trailer.

Here are just a few pictures of Lake Fontana. It is a damned lake the tallest east of the Rockies. We were just in one of the rivers feeding it and had 93' of water under us. The deepest water is over 350. Fish present are trout, lake trout, pike, bass, crappie, catfish.

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NC OD18 No Excuse Relaunced 8/15/16 TomW

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:04 pm

I remember that we met at lake Fontana a couple years ago. I was doing some mountain biking with my wife who almost passed out on the trail. The Tsali trail is considered one of the most challenging in the US but I did not tell her.
You had to wait for us at the campground.
Fontana Lake is a great boating place, lots of coastline to discover, lots of secluded coves, nice scenery. I will go back soon.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Tom that is a very pretty place! I think No Excuse will be right at home there. It is good you have the time to take her out for a little exercise.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am

Looks real nice. I'm glad to see her in her new home. I know you will take good care of her. Treat her right and she will treat you well. She's used to the ocean and like to point toward open sea. I think that's the first lake she's ever been in. Beautiful scenery. She's never seen a mountain either.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Fuzz the north side of the lake is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, tallest mountain nearly 6000 ft, Third highest east of the Rockies. I can see it from it from the end of my road.

Larry could not believe how she ran. Up on plane at 16-1700rpms. Will take very good care of her. All ready got a grease gun for the bearings and other things, had Boeshield T9 for my shop tools. Need to put together a tool kit but the post on the other forum site was exactly what I was thinking of. Dang you built a fine boat. Now I just have to find some fish. :lol:
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Larry could not believe how she ran. Up on plane at 16-1700rpms.
You helped me pick the prop, and you pretty much nailed it :)

Dang you built a fine boat. Now I just have to find some fish.
Thanks Tom. That's why she's named "No Excuse" :D No corner was cut. No excuse for less than my best. My only regret is that System 3 interior paint. It sucks. I didn't know any better at the time. Hope you and Deb get as much use out of it and catch as many fish as we have. I think it will outlast all of us. She is as happy 30 miles offshore as she is in a lake. Just give her her head and follow her lead, she'll tell you what she likes and what she doesn't. Just like a good dog, listen to them and they will teach you. Doesn't like a head sea, but will run like a train on a rail in a following sea of any size. Use good sense and she will always bring you home.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose