CH-14 Sept 2016 Dan C.

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Danp413
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CH-14 Sept 2016 Dan C.

Post by Danp413 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:16 am

Woohoo! I really like this canoe.

Pro: Paddles like a dream! Every other canoe I have paddled took more effort to move. I barely had to pull on the paddle.

Almost unsinkable. I made some hopefully airtight compartments under the breast hooks. (They leak a little, so I was not
successful.) When I filled the canoe with water, I could swim to either end of the canoe, grab the breast hook and could
not pull it more than an inch below the surface.

My seat system works. Now just to determine how much I need it. I will admit it may be overkill. A friend thought that
having more weight on one end will give the boat more balance because of more of it being in the water.

Bad: More tippy than I would like. I built this to fish in, and I love fly-fishing. I can cast sitting down in it, but I was hoping to
stand in it. With time I may be able to stand in it. May build some out riggers or sponsons to help with the tippiness.
(This will also give me something to do with my extra plywood.)

Breast hook compartments leak. Would putting foam in there keep the water from collecting in there?

Two of the three times I got in, it tipped over too far and put about a gallon of water in the boat. Again, I have to get
used to the boat.

So if you notice the only bad things are things I can fix, or get used to. Again, I really really like this canoe. I will post some pictures later. It has been in a pool and a pond. I did not catch any fish. I am curious on how much a fish will pull me around in it.My next trip in it will be a small lake or a river (above an old mill dam, so it is almost a small lake for a good portion).

danp413
Completed CH 14

Danp413
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CH-14 Sept 2016 Dan C.

Post by Danp413 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Okay, here are a few pics of the first splash.

danp413
Completed CH 14

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Very nice!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Very nice splash!!! Beautiful surroundings as well!! Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:00 am

Dang good looking canoe! Very nice. Makes me want to build one. That's fine right there 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Danp413
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Danp413 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Went by a local shop that rents canoes and kayaks on a local lake during the summer. I bought one of the used kayak paddles for $20. I am going camping this weekend and will be paddling along in the 200+ acre lake at this state park. I couldn't talk anyone else into going, so I am not sure if I will get many photos, other than fish caught and views.

Looking forward to spending more time in this canoe.
danp413
Completed CH 14

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm thinking some ballast might help with the tipping, it looks like she's riding above the designed waterline just a tad.
Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:01 pm

I remember paddling a small boat my brother designed and built (I think he figured what could be so hard about boat design?), it was so tippy it wasn't happy being upright. We got a couple or three sandbags and weighted it down, it still wasn't right but at least it stopped fighting so hard.
Have you tried it with a second person aboard?
Hank

Danp413
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Danp413 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:00 pm

This is not that tippy, She likes to be upright. I have not had a second person in the boat yet. I had fun with it this weekend, and had the seat in the middle. Still more tippy than I would like, but I did not get water in it getting in and out this time. I even turned around in it once to make sure my anchor was ready to use.

The pond I had it in for the first splash is protected by trees, so there was not much wind. On the 200+ acre lake I was on this weekend, I got a lot of wind. Wow, that was interesting. I did not have trouble paddling into the wind, but turning was the fun part.

Also, I like the canoe paddle better than the kayak paddle, so far. There is more surface area on the canoe paddle, so I feel like it is pushing more.
danp413
Completed CH 14

MartinV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MartinV » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:12 am

Very nice canoe! I just finished mine. Hope to post some pics of it in the water here soon.
CH14 built, something with a sail next