FL 12, June 2016, Kurt in CA

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
kurtmuenzer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FL 12, June 2016, Kurt in CA

Post by kurtmuenzer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:34 am

Hi All,

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/0DttD

Started this project years ago, nearly finished it, life got in the way, and I "finished" it over the last year or so. Many improvements in mind to come. I'm sure it will be a project the rest of my life. It's been a blast to finally get it in the water. Best with 2 people. 3 was manageable. Haven't tried 4 yet, but it's bound to happen. We got compliments and questions everywhere we went. Such a great little boat for a smaller lake that often gets overcrowded in the summertime with people in big fast boats.

Boat was built to plans with the modification of adding 3" of freeboard. I compensated in the motor mount notch on the transom so I could still use a short shaft little outboard. Still plenty stable with the extra 3"... I thought it just looked a bit short and felt like larger wakes might splash over. Only had a couple tiny splashes ever come over, and they were near the bow. I could still pull myself straight out of the water into the boat on the side without it wanting to tip (I weigh about 160lbs). The motor is a '58 Evinrude 5.5 and it runs great.. even using an original pressurized tank. The boat only gets going about 6-7mph I'd say, and it feels like it could handle more. I did double up the thickness of the full transom. I'm keeping my eyes out for a something like a 7-9 hp for the days I want to get around the lake a little quicker.

Many thanks for the support! Starting to dream of the next build.. something bigger.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FL 12, June 2016, Kurt in CA

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:20 am

kurtmuenzer, beautiful boat!! Where did you find your Evinrude and did you have to have it re-built? Jeff

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FL 12, June 2016, Kurt in CA

Post by seaslug » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:55 pm

It may have taken a long time, but you have a boat you can be really proud of. Excellent work raising the sheer. A beautiful boat for sure.