Wouldwork's V12 Finished 6th November 2016

Post your launchings here. Please keep the to plan/date format
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wouldwork's V12 Finished 6th November 2016

Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Cam, it looks great on the website!! Great work!! By the way, what's next?? Jeff

Buz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Buz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Beautiful!
You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Very nice 8) 8) how did you finish the bare wood?

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:07 pm

Jeff, next boat will be a big pontoon cat, pending logistics and space to build It. I want builder status, so must keep building. Haha.

Peter, it's just a 2 part clear polyurethane over the top of the resin coats.

I'll try to get some nicer pics of it today.

Cam.
Completed: CC14 Canoe and V12 sail boat.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Cam if they do not see this and give you builder status you should ask for it. There is a thread under "anything else" on page 7 called "user status". If you post to it that should get you a well deserved change. Love your boat :D

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks Fuzz for the tip. I have made a request.

Cam.

Bigfoot1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bigfoot1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:22 am

Lovely professional workmanship, certainly a head turner.
Congratulations.
Bigfoot1 AKA Bob :D

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:45 am

WouldWork wrote:Peter, it's just a 2 part clear polyurethane over the top of the resin coats.
Thanks, Don't know if you are aware of my current build? but plan is to leave lots of "bare" wood visible also, as a finish coat would like to spray several automotive clear coats like PPG or Sikkens on there but what clear do you use as an epoxy primer? I assume like normal paint I can't put clear directly on the epoxy can I?

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Peter, advice I received from a professional auto spray painter was that auto clear can go straight onto epoxy.

About 3 years ago I made a ply gun case that I finished with only epoxy, no top coats. I decided to use that for some trials. Earlier this year I coated that gun case with several finishes: Auto clear on one side, marine/spar varnish on the other, etc. The 2 part auto clear came up shiny and has not dulled or cracked or peeled. I've left it out in the weather for days and weeks at a time just to see how the auto clear holds up. So far, it's brilliant. It looks great, still has a great gloss finish and there aren't any scratches on it even after a few rough hunting trips. I've even left it lying in water for a couple of days.

My spray painting friend has painted heaps of wooden things as well as cars and his recommendation when painting wood with this stuff was to make sure you put an epoxy coat on first as a primer. He is familiar with both products and has many years in the trade.

I've googled the hell out of it, and never found anything to the contrary. I guess time will tell, but at this stage I would confidently suggest what you want to do is not going to be a problem.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:23 pm

WouldWork wrote:Peter, advice I received from a professional auto spray painter was that auto clear can go straight onto epoxy.

About 3 years ago I made a ply gun case that I finished with only epoxy, no top coats. I decided to use that for some trials. Earlier this year I coated that gun case with several finishes: Auto clear on one side, marine/spar varnish on the other, etc. The 2 part auto clear came up shiny and has not dulled or cracked or peeled. I've left it out in the weather for days and weeks at a time just to see how the auto clear holds up. So far, it's brilliant. It looks great, still has a great gloss finish and there aren't any scratches on it even after a few rough hunting trips. I've even left it lying in water for a couple of days.

My spray painting friend has painted heaps of wooden things as well as cars and his recommendation when painting wood with this stuff was to make sure you put an epoxy coat on first as a primer. He is familiar with both products and has many years in the trade.

I've googled the hell out of it, and never found anything to the contrary. I guess time will tell, but at this stage I would confidently suggest what you want to do is not going to be a problem.
Thank you very much for your comprehensive response, that gives me good hope, maybe I do the same as you did and do a sample with PPG or Sikkens and see how it holds in sun and water. What's the reason that automotive paint does need an epoxy primer and automotive clear doesn't is it another chemical composition?