OD 18 - Launched in 2005 - just found the old pics...

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

OD 18 - Launched in 2005 - just found the old pics...

Post by TomTom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 am

Here is a good picture of an OD 18 next to my C19 for comparison...

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD 18 - Launched in 2005 - just found the old pics...

Post by cape man » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 am

Missed this build! Love the colors and simplicity of the layout.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Nice, and 12 years old to boot. Surprised you are able to pull a water skier with only 50 hp. What kind of speed will it run when light?

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm

We were skinnier then! You had to use a wide bodied ski and start the boat with a big looping turn to pick up momentum before the rope came tight. Having said that, that lake is 6000 feet above sea level - so pretty impressive none-the-less.

Boat got slower with the T top; but was never built "light" anyways. I believe we did about 24/25 kts tops with that engine. It likes the Yamaha 60 much better, and so do I! I will test top speed with that and get back to you.

I got three of those Evinrude 50's for about 1000 bucks and two were slowly butchered to keep the one alive; I am not an Evinrude hater, but that engine had some real issues - I came home on the kicker more than once!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 pm

At one time the Evinrude/Johnson's were the gold standard around here. But over time they went down hill and the other brands got better. Now days it is rare to see even one of the Etecs and the old rep is hard to overcome. I still run older 2-smokes for the main but I keep a 4-stoke kicker on the boat for trolling and to get home if needed.
I run a 50hp 4 stroke on my dory and it sounds like it runs about the same speed as your dory with the 50 on it.

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 am

Maybe I would I have felt differently about those 50's if there was an Evinrude dealer 100 yards from my doorstep, like the Yamaha one! Or if parts were as easy to get then as they are for me now, by going on boats.net!

Having said that, my FICHT 90 has been great, except for a few issues, which once I learnt how to use the diagnostics properly have been easy to solve. There is some clever technology in that engine - before its time, and I respect that. I compression tested it and its as good as it should be new according to the manual and it has 1800 hours on it.

One of my employees bought a Chinese motorbike for 600 USD 5 years ago and I laughed at him - its still going strong! Who is laughing now. Guess thats how it was with Japanese engines at one time (before my time!)...