HMD19 Sept 2017 doug n

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Doug N
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

HMD19 Sept 2017 doug n

Post by Doug N » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 am

After just a few years, 13, the boat is finally in the water. Happy with the outcome. Really enjoyed today. We launched on a local lake and were able to try her out for a few hours. Lots of fun. I hope to get more on water pictures next week.
The boat was weighed at 1980#, including about 140# of batteries and perhaps 15# of gas. When we were out today we probably had another 200# of water and fuel on. Seems solid and stable but weren't out in anything to test it. 3000 rpm and 5.4 mph. 5000 rpm(maxed out) and a blistering 7 mph. I believe that this is the lowest pitch prop that Yamaha makes for the 9.9 hi thrust so I won't be seeing much more rpm. That's just fine as well. We will probably be cruising more around the 5 mph range. No action shots other than a short video shot with a phone cam at a bit of distance. Don't see any real noticeable change in forward/aft attitude from design but better pictures will help. I was too excited and having fun to think about looking at that closely. I added more pictures to my gallery today as well.
Thanks everyone for all your help and ideas.
Doug
Attachments
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HMD19 Sept 2017 doug n

Post by narfi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:15 am

Beautiful!
Defiantly something to be proud of.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:10 am

Lovely cruiser! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 am

Doug, that is a real beauty!! Nice work!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Very nice! Great job.
Hank

Doug N
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Doug N » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks folks. Really appreciate it.
This spring started the finishing and what a difference. Once I saw the result of paint going on the interior and then the exterior, it was easy to keep motivated and finish the boat. I'm sure that the next few outings will let me know some things I might want to change or add. I deliberately didn't put any seating in the cockpit as I wanted to see how I use it before I install anything.
Doug

Doug N
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Doug N » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 am

Had the boat out again today and thoroughly enjoyed it. My brother came from Vancouver Island to see the boat and hassle his brother, of course. We were out for a few hours in decent weather and were quite happy with the boat. 5 knots at 3000 rpm is fairly quiet and a good cruising speed. We've been partners on 3 boats in the last 10 years, all trawlers, and all bigger than the previous one of course. The latest cruises at 8 knots so 5 on my boat isn't so bad...

I have commented in my gallery on the cabin floor modification but I think that I should mention it here, as well. Lowering the cabin floor has been the best change that has been done to this boat. It totally changes the character of the interior. I have tried to set this boat up for colder weather boating (I live in northern BC) by enclosing the aft end of the cabin but this limits your movement somewhat. Having a place to stand up and move around a little is great. This change was first suggested/built by Chicagoross and sure is appreciated.

A few other additions/changes have been done for practicality. Glass forward windows w/wipers. With a boat this slow, you're going to get caught in the rain. Bow rail. Salvaged from an old sailboat I had, but I feel that I'm not too nimble anymore and if I have to go to the bow for any reason I want to have something to try and keep me out of the water. I will also be the first to admit that the electrical system is overkill but I quite enjoyed doing it.

There have been questions about the fore/aft inclination of the boat relative to the designed waterline. Looked at it more carefully today and with no one in it, the bow was about 2 - 3 inches higher than design and the stern about the same amount lower. With just myself in it and underway, the bow was just in the water and the stern looked to be still down a few inches. Not a big deal and I will store more stuff in the lockers under the v-berth. I had thought that I had probably built the boat bow heavy by moving the water tank to under the v-berth as well but I guess not. These comments are not meant to be critical, just observations. Todays boat weight was approx 2200# with full fuel/water, some tools but no food/drinks/stores or people.

Chicagoross' comments on the slow speed maneuvering of the boat are right on. Great fun learning how to dock and load onto the trailer. Need shots of power to do anything. I'm providing the entertainment at the boat launch I'm sure.

Boat is somewhat tender but probably not a surprise due to the size and being a displacement hull. I found that if my brother was at the helm and I was just outside the cabin door but on the same side as him, the scupper in the back of the cockpit would just be letting a little amount of water in. This is while underway. Didn't check at rest. We total about 400# so is understandable and hopefully putting more weight forward will help this.

Friends have asked me why would I build a boat like this and have it so slow. I guess the main reason is that I've had a few trailerable sailboats in the past and used them for cruising and not any racing type of sailing. With my sailing memories of 20 years previous of too little/too much wind/rain/cold weather but I did quite enjoy puttering around with the outboard. I decided that an enclosed cabin and remote outboard would make a great boat that I could cruise at sailboat speeds. This one sure looks like it will fulfil that. Of course I'm sure there will be times when I would like to go faster but that will be on my next boat.

I have lost one long post already today so I'll post this one and then try another with a few pictures.
Doug

Doug N
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Doug N » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 am

Pictures for Sept 19 outing. Start of tape measure shows waterline at rest. I believe that the designed water line is 2 - 3 inches lower. The at rest bow appears to be the same amount out of the water. Underway the bow is immersed. There is a slight list when I'm the only one in the boat and the only unbalanced load. 185#. The picture of the boat on the trailer was just as I was going to back down the launch. I just like the picture. The Ranger pickup is just marginal for hauling the boat. Had to put a weight distributing hitch on it to get it ok to tow the boat. New truck is moving up the priority list.
Fall colours have started. We were the only ones on the lake today. (Charlie Lake). I hope to get on another lake later on in the week that should have some spectacular fall colours. Beautiful time of the year. Before the white _____ flies.
Doug
Attachments
DSC_3652.JPG
DSC_3663.JPG
IMG_8818.JPG
DSC_3683.JPG
DSC_3662.JPG

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 am

A rightly proud boat builder with his great looking boat. Congratulations! :D

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 am

Total stealth build :!: Boat looks great .
Novi 23 finally launched !