Madgar's HC14

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Madgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Madgar's HC14

Post by Madgar » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Well, I finally finished my canoe but don't think I'll be able to launch it until the spring. Little cold and not sure I want to test out my building skills in freezing temperatures 8O .

Anyway, for those that tried to follow, I am sorry my documentation fell off the map and I kind of left you hanging. As you may have read on my earlier a post, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61849&hilit=Madgar
, my wife had been very ill and I kind of started probably too early after my wife's illness. It's was a long spring, summer, fall of kids travel sports and my poor wife's health wasn't quite back to good enough to help with all the travel required. Usually, we are a great team, with one of us heading one direction, the other taking the other child a different direction. Unfortunately she just couldn't travel due to her health so I had to take care of all. Anyway, she's getting better, but man it's been a rough ride. Poor girl has been through hell.

The canoe, sadly, got pushed back with an hr here an hr there but I'm done. I will say, it was really enjoyable but I still need some practice in a couple areas, most importantly, fairing. I suck at it and honestly need to read some more on the technique. Part of me feels I just couldn't devote the time I needed to get better, part of me knows it's like art. Some people just got it and are very talented, but I will get there one day. Next build :D

Another area that I learned a lot about but am not real happy with my skills is bright work. I'm not sure I will try it again because it's expensive and also is like artwork. Some of you on here are amazing at it but there are some beautiful boats on here without any bright work. I don't know, it's up in the air on that one.

Lastly, I know I'm no where near ready to build my ultimate goal, DE25. However, I will probably build something like the Laguna, FS18 or FS17. Hopefully, in the not too distant future.

Well, I'm posting a couple of pictures but I promise I'll repost at launch in the spring/ summer when the water is backup in the mid 70's :? Thank you all who helped and commented (and patience) and the customer service at bateau, which is 2nd to none. BTW, it needs a little cleaning as I actually haven't touched it since middle of Nov.
Attachments
File Dec 16, 8 42 08 PM.jpeg
File Dec 16, 8 41 38 PM.jpeg
File Dec 16, 8 41 19 PM.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Madgar's HC14

Post by Fuzz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 am

Looks plenty good to me. I bet it will be hard for you to wait till spring :D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34 am

Canoe looks great!
Glad your wife is getting better too.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 am

Nice !!

Like the colours

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 am

Very good looking boat! Sometimes the builder is the hardest to please, which is not a bad thing.

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:06 am

Dont know what you're talking about on the fairing and bright work. Look pretty damn awesome to me! Gorgeous boat!

Sounds like a crappy year for you is over. Hope next year is much better, including many hours in your new canoe.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 am

Canoe looks great!!! Jeff

Madgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Madgar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 am

Thank you all for the kind words. Cape Man, yes it's been a trying year but my wife is alive and kids are healthy so I feel blessed, thanks for the thoughts. Narfi, thank you for kind words about my wife. 2018 will be awesome I'm sure